Liz Gray

Contributor to HGTVersus

Jul 3

Episode 6 Recap: Dream (and Nightmare) Kitchens

Designers With HGTV Magazine Editor-in-Chief Sara Peterson

The designers took on the dreaded kitchen challenge this week, but the stakes were a little higher: The winning kitchen won a feature in HGTV Magazine, and the bottom two designers went home. Read on to see which kitchens turned out dreamy and which, well, didn’t. Plus, tell me what you thought of this week’s episode!

Britany and Danielle

Danielle had a big advantage from last week’s win: She got to choose her partner and pair up the remaining 4 designers. She also got first pick of the sink options that would inspire each kitchen. She chose Britany (they’re back to being BFFs now) and the contemporary sink. They chose a cheery-if-safe pale turquoise and yellow palette and a “collected” vibe for their space.

Contemporary Kitchen Shelving Detail

The judges loved the eclectic, lived-in look of the room, from the well-chosen accessories…

Contemporary Kitchen Buffet

…to the right furniture pieces, like this weathered buffet. “You captured how people live today,” Vern said.

Photo Backsplash

Britany was jazzed about the photo frame backsplash, but Anthony Carrino of Kitchen Cousins thought it wasn’t very practical — photos look better without grease stains.¬† The art she chose also wasn’t very impactful — a blown-up photo backsplash would have made a bigger statement.

Despite a few complaints, the panel unanimously agreed that Danielle and Britany were the co-winners of this challenge. Then, there was everyone else.

Hilari and Stanley in Contemporary Kitchen

Stanley and Hilari’s kitchen inspiration: a black apron-front sink.¬† Mr. “If You Build It, The Panel Will Come” and Ms. Versace Glamour had trouble deciding on a theme at first, and then decided to go bold. Gulp. I was worried for them as soon as they paired bold blue walls with red countertops. In their defense, it definitely didn’t turn out boring. But as Kitchen Cousins¬† star John Colaneri said at evaluation, “Step out of the box doesn’t mean jump off a cliff.”

Kitchen Hand Cabinet Pulls

Case in point: Stanley’s “handy” cabinet pulls. Theoretically, this works, but the cabinets still need to function…rouge thumbs and pinkies actually keep you from opening the cabinet doors. Instead, why not use a couple of these as accent artwork or even a towel hook? The panel definitely gave this element a thumbs down.

Kitchen Pendant Lights
One element I loved in Hilari and Stanley’s kitchen: The blown glass pendant lights over their kitchen island.

Mikel and Rachel's Country Kitchen

Then, there was Team Rachel and Mikel, whose kitchen inspiration was a printed country sink. Unlike last week’s Victorian debacle, Rachel was confident that she could deliver a cool country kitchen; “I’m from the Midwest,” she said.

After floundering for a couple of weeks, Rachel knew she couldn’t play it safe. Enter the idea to wallpaper the back wall of the kitchen. She and Mikel struggled to find the right pattern and, well…they failed. The pink toile is too overwhelming with no wall cabinets…Genevieve called it “a punch in the face.” Also, functionality-wise, why a completely blank wall? I wouldn’t sacrifice that much space in my kitchen, even for an amazing wallpaper. Open wall shelves would have helped a lot here.

Crystal Chandelier
The panel loved Mikel’s pick of an ornate chandelier tied up with rustic twine, although they lamented that it was hard to see against the crazy, pink toile wallpaper.

Farm Table Centerpiece
Genevieve said she would “lay on a railroad track” for this tressel table, but otherwise, the panel wasn’t impressed with this room’s overall look…or its cramped space plan.

Rachel Kate and Stanley Palmieri

In the end, Rachel and Stanley both made fatal errors that, alongside another round of lackluster camera challenges, put them at the bottom of the pack. They were both sent home last night.

Check back tomorrow for David and Meg’s reactions to tonight’s episode.

Now it’s your turn: What did you think of last night’s designs? Did the right designers go home? Tell me in the comments below.

Posted at 10:00 pm

137 Comments

1. I had a feeling it was going to be Stanley and Rachel. She had used up all her credit from the early weeks and Stanley was just a little too outré. I think the panel made the right choices. The last four are the best four, in my view. I'm looking forward to the last few competitions.

Rickapolis on July 3, 2012 at 6:12 pm
    • I had a feeling about Stanley and Rachel too. As for Rachel, after the back yard challenge and her crying over missing her daughter, I knew that home sickness would affect her performance from then forward. And as Genevieve rightly pointed out, she steadily went downhill; her heart just wasn't in it anymore.
      When I saw her slap that toile wallpaper all over that kitchen I was like: NO WAY!! A pattern that busy is meant to be used sparingly. She wanted to go home. Plain and simple.

CADesigns on July 3, 2012 at 6:35 pm
    • I totally agree. I predict Danielle and Brittany in the finale.

Lori on July 3, 2012 at 9:36 pm
      • I'm with you there. They are the most talented.

Rickapolis on July 4, 2012 at 5:46 am
  2. This isn't really a design comment but rather that I can totally picture watching Danielle in a design show. Love her naturalness, good taste and style. Also, she reminds me of an African-American Alison Janney—relatable!

What happened to Meg from last year? I guess I missed her show, whenever it was on…..

Laura on July 3, 2012 at 6:12 pm
    • Meg's Show is on Saturday nights.

CADesigns on July 3, 2012 at 6:42 pm
    • Each week HGTV has shown the Tuesday night episode of Design Star on the following Saturday at 8:00p.m.. After that repeat, at 9:00p.m., Meg's Great Room is shown. She's so funny and the designs definitely meet the needs of the homeowner.

Rickapolis on July 4, 2012 at 4:32 am
    • I so agree with you Laura. I would watch her show also because she "JUST HAS IT". So hoping she wins this year because I am so tired of some of the winners on these show and they never pan out.

connie on July 4, 2012 at 11:18 am
  3. There is really no comparison between the Design Star hopefuls and Brittany. She is outstanding. I hope she wins because she has real talent. I also loved Stanley's contributions as a designer. He was soooo much more interesting than the remaining contestants with the exception of Brittany. I like Danielle, too, but she pales in comparison to Brittany. If you haven't looked at Brittany's portfolio, it would be a shame to miss it. She has what it takes!

Guest on July 3, 2012 at 6:13 pm
  4. Finalllllky Britany wins won!!! It was a long time coming she has knocked it out of the park every challenge. She is my favorite!!!

Deb on July 3, 2012 at 6:17 pm
  5. Britany is my favorite too. I have been rooting for her since day 1. She has realky cool and inventive ideas. And she has done well every single challenge. If she doesn't win this whole show, something is wrong!!

Matt on July 3, 2012 at 6:20 pm
  6. Kohler designed nice sinks!

The "designers" all made cluttered up so called kitchens, without any practical functionality. No one would be able to prep food, cook food, eat food and be able to clean up, keep clean, those ugly kitchens. Chandeliers in the kitchen? Who's going cleans those all the time?

Three great kitchens, for people who always eat at restaurants.

erikcreature on July 3, 2012 at 6:25 pm
  7. What a fun challenge – Britany and Danielle's kitchen was incredible and definitely the deserving winner. It was awesome to watch Britany's photography background play such a big role and it paid off. Her skill set amazes me each time I watch the show and she has been the only contestant to have consistently outstanding designs.

Mollie on July 3, 2012 at 6:30 pm
  8. I must agree with Laura; Danielle is a natural and I can her having great shows. Her style is well blended and she is able to be adventurous but not too over the top. She's definitely my winner.

Marcia on July 3, 2012 at 6:31 pm
  9. Finally Britany wins!!! She has deserved to win and finally gets recognized for her amazing talent! Not only is she the most talented on the show but she is someone I would definitely want to watch if she had her own show. She is fun, lovable, unique, and has so many wonderful ideas. Just watching her on design star has made me get more creative and use more colors in my own house. No one else has that kind of appeal to them so it's obvious who should be the winner!

Sarah on July 3, 2012 at 6:33 pm
  10. i thought the french kitchen was brilliant ,the greatest looking kitchen ever….because it does not look like a creepy old 'kitchen' it looks like furnishings in a room, that also happens to be able to make meals. this is what design is all about. transforming a place of chores into a 'room'. i loved this and would definitely make this a place i want to cook in.
    the other designs were just typical chore looking environments.
    you picked wrong. you need new judges. try again next season.

ann on July 3, 2012 at 6:37 pm