Liz Gray

Contributor to HGTVersus

Jul 11

David on Ep 7: “What, Do We Live in a Forest? No.”

David Delivers the Challenge

HGTV’s king of color pinpoints the biggest mistakes in the designers’ condos. Plus, who impressed him most during their live segment on The Talk and what it takes to be a good TV host.

Who did you connect with most on camera?  Did you really hate Mikel’s paint color? Voice your opinion in the comments below.

Posted at 10:11 am

41 Comments

1. I love you David but I totally disagree with you about Brittney's camera challenge. I watched the full show of The Talk and she did an AWESOME job! She owned that tip on camera. Personally I think its more about talent as a designer, and the hosting can get better with work anyways. (you know that D!) I think Hilari & Brittney are by far the most likable of the final four.

JohnsonsFamily on July 11, 2012 at 6:47 am
    • You are so right – and she has something solid to share with the viewers. I think it's time for a designer on HGTV who doesn't wear her emotions on her cuffs. I don't really care about somebody's Aunt Matilda – or what they had for lunch. What I want to see are great design tips – and a true artistic talent. Britany is that person. I also think her designs are timeless. I hate to say this, but I think some of the designers on HGTV are "of the moment." In a few years, some of those homes they've dumped color on are going to look as garrish as an old tattoo.

Parkebernet on July 11, 2012 at 8:42 pm
  2. I also watched the full segment on The Talk and enjoyed Britnays tip immensely. She is the only one that taught me an original tip I will try at home and was professional and fun! I thought she was a pro. Perhaps HGTV is going for a specific profile…did anyone else notice that 3 of the final four had something in common? Trying to expand our ethnic viewer base are we, HGTV? This show used to be based on design talent. It's clear that basis has changed.

Josh Balin on July 11, 2012 at 6:52 am
    • Are you serious, answer this for me. Why is Britney the only person blogging episode per episode? Both Danielle and Hilari are talented and deserve to be where they are in this competition along with Britney.

Phillygirlinde on July 11, 2012 at 7:34 am
    • You haven't been watching home decorating shows much if Brittney's tip was new to you. For me, the only "new tip" wasn't really a tip at all. It was Hillari talking about loving every item in her home.

Sanya on July 11, 2012 at 8:02 am
    • Hello~! I'm sorry but your insinuation that the ethnicity of three of the last four has anything to do with thier placement is insulting to their skills. Last year there were NO persons of color in the final four… gee, do you think HGTV was trying to appeal to WHITE PEOPLE? Get over yourself and your biases. The final four were judged the best out of twelve. Case CLOSED.

Laura on July 11, 2012 at 7:20 pm
  3. Personally, I think they are harsh with Britany. I think her camera challenge/The Talk thing was fine. She was knowledgeable and personable–none of the others were smiling all the time either. :P

I didn't HATE Mikel's wall color, but it was definitely too mild. A sage tone would have worked much better, and he could have used mint, forest, etc. in pillows, artwork, etc., along with using browns, blues or purples to blend in to really make the shades of green pop.

Loved Hilari's Indian blanket wall hanging. I thought that worked VERY well. There were too many twigs though….it lacked imagination to me. Danielle's blue could have been fabulous…if she had chosen another shade of blue. I would have used a sapphire blue—apothocary bottles, pillows, art work, etc. along with pale blues, chrome, silver and maybe even some lavender to bring out the blue. Her time management issues are recurring and that's bothersome to me. I thought Britany's use of the blue to make the yellow stand out was a stroke of genius. Loved her space, and she was the correct winner, and I think she is the stand out on the show right now.

juliebug04 on July 11, 2012 at 7:03 am
    • Ooh, a sapphire blue would have been beautiful!

Liz_HGTV on July 11, 2012 at 7:24 am
      • I thought so too, Liz! I think it would have showed well on TV, too. I thought about that last night when I used some of my lavender vanilla lotion from Bath and Body Works Aromatherapy line, and that vibrant blue of the bottle is so gorgeous and I thought that would have been such a great color to use.

juliebug04 on July 11, 2012 at 7:33 am
  4. I am an avid fan of DS but this year has been a great disappointment! Your designers have la lacked any creativity and depend on "shopping" and accesorizing to make the room. Anyone can walk in to a Pier 1 and find a colorful object. I have also found their "tips" to be old and uncreative. Sorry, I was just hoping to be WOWED and it hasn't happened!

Margaret on July 11, 2012 at 7:17 am
  5. There was no original tip given by anyone, but Hillary was the most entertaining.

Caroline on July 11, 2012 at 9:39 am
  6. Hillary smile and confidence really rocked the camera. I would love to see her show because people need to see smiling faces along with designing skills. Keep smiling Hillary.

shalom on July 11, 2012 at 10:45 am
    • I agree. Hillari is my favorite (although i do love all of them and their different styles), I love her personality and sense of humor. I'd love to see her have her on show. Not only would it be helpful but also very entertaining.

Melissa on July 14, 2012 at 5:23 pm
      • I love Hillary, it so great to see someone who is ok with themselves. With the ups and downs of timed challenges and getting use to the camera and working with others cannot be easy; however, she makes it look easy and fun. I hope she turns up in a show even though we know she will not win. But she should be the next design star.

Jackie on July 17, 2012 at 7:38 pm
  7. David – that is some crazy jacket! :) I love all four, so whichever one wins is fine with me!

jo c on July 11, 2012 at 11:10 am
  8. I like Davids wardrobe. This is a crazy mix, so entertaining! Last year, I tuned in to see what Genevieve would wear, but this year, I tune in to see what David will wear. Just crazy! I actually liked the tree branches in Hilari's room. I was a little worried once she decided to bring home this crazy tree, but it looked nice. It's funny, that I don't think the other designer's would have taken that risk, and it was the absolute most crazy item in any of the rooms. Just think, if Hilari wins, then I might just love everything that I walk by in my home! In two more weeks, I might be able to keep watching David's crazy wardrobe and get to see all the things that Hilari loves! What a wonderful thought!

David on July 11, 2012 at 11:46 am
  9. Britney has beautiful designs, but doesn't come across on camera. I thought her condo was the best. I didn't like the graphic wall pattern, or the lamp shade. Those came across as cheap. But she did this exact color last week, so she was already ahead.
    Danielle – loved the blue room, everything else was blah. Why didn't she incorporate a blue area rug?
    Hilary – loved the red wall hanging. Everything else was good, not great. But she really connects with the audience, she could do it, and be the next design star.
    Mikel – yeah, I agreed with the judges, the color was institutional, and also a cop out. No other green things in the room. I would have liked to see a more organic feel, and more plants, more earthy. His green wall looked like an afterthought, and didn't go with anything else. Plus, he's too full of himself and sometimes rubbed me the wrong way.

Pittsburgher on July 11, 2012 at 12:12 pm
  10. I loved Britney's light over here dining room table. The spherical ribbon one. Any ideas where she got that?

Andrew on July 11, 2012 at 3:32 pm