Liz Gray

Featured Blogger for HGTVersus

Jul 19

Relive the Best Season Seven Moments

Best Moments From Season 7

We’ve come a long way, baby. From Yuki’s episode one collage to Hilari’s camera challenge disaster in the yurt episode, we’ve seen lots of design (good + bad), plenty of laughter and a few tears.

Watch our collection of this season’s most memorable moments after the jump.

What has been your favorite (or most-hated) moment in season seven? Shout it out in the comments below.

Posted at 2:00 pm

34 Comments

1. When i look at the HGTV designers i dont see a representation of African Americans. Hilari was that, she also broke many color barriers and misconceptions that people have of African American designers. She was funny , artistic, and just had a wonderful eye for design. Everyone in America do not like the same style. I must give a pat on the back and a heartfelt Thanks to Hilari for being a strong , smart, intelligent African American woman. Many of our young woman need to see just what u portrayed yourself as on this show. You didnt resort to petty hair pulling or insults, and you were and still are the best. Sadly to say , we knew that HGTV would not choose you we had a discussion on it but hoped they would. We chose you. You are a Winner! You Won with us. Guess they would like to keep showing us the same designers with the same type of designs.

Tammie on July 19, 2012 at 1:20 pm
  2. Get over it… the 2 best designers for the season are in the finale. Hilari's white box challenge and her kitchen challenge should have sent her home before she even made into the top 3! Her camera challenges were void from any useful content. She does seem like a really nice person with a great sense of humor.

teamdanielle on July 19, 2012 at 1:57 pm
  3. I totally agree the top 2 designers are in the finale… but i am TEAM BRITANY all the way! Facts are facts, she has been the strongest since day 1, never in the bottom, and given us the most inventive ideas I have seen on Design Star yet.

TEAMBRITANY on July 19, 2012 at 4:02 pm
    • Agree about Britany. I used to think Danielle had a slight edge on her, and that Britany was more cookie cutter. But lately I see a great out-of-the-box thinker in her. Also, I suspect she won because of the previous of next week's show. For a brief moment it looked as if Danielle was stepping toward her to congratulate her as the confetti was flying.

Moonbeam on July 19, 2012 at 4:46 pm
      • * I meant "preview" of next week's show.

Moonbeam on July 19, 2012 at 8:07 pm
      • In the sneak preview for the finale, Britany was smiling when she and Danielle hugged after the announcement of the winner. She would not have smiled if she lost. Recall the hollywood episode when she cried and said her work was better when Danielle won. Hope this is wrong as I would love to see Danielle win.

Lois on July 19, 2012 at 10:21 pm
      • I did not see it that way…. (in the previews) I saw Britany turn and clap her hands towards Danielle as a gesture of "Congratulations on your win" and Danielle put her hands up in the air, like I can't believe I just won. So I think Danielle's going to be the winner this season.

Guest on July 20, 2012 at 2:14 am
  4. I believe Kim Myles is an African American woman, and she won Design Star on Season 2. Her show only lasted a season or two, as I recall, and I still miss it. Like Meg does now, Kim also had an entertaining and personable carpenter with whom she worked very well.

Moonbeam on July 19, 2012 at 4:38 pm
  5. I was impressed with her 80's room during the Hollywood birthday party episode. She beautifully nailed a very difficult decade for design. However, she did leave a lot of unused space in her yurt, although I loved a lot of what she did do in it. But she also failed to put enough information into her camera challenges, despite being previously advised to do so. I also don't think her speaking voice and speech pattern are of commercial quality for hosting a design show, even though her personality is charming. I think some voice coaching would help further her career. But Hilari is very talented and I think we'll see her back on HGTV in some way or other. I would love to see her do a show with Mikel because their talents balance well and they have an entertaining, comedic interaction.

Moonbeam on July 19, 2012 at 4:44 pm
    • Hilari's "80s" room was all over the place. After her stupid spandex rug idea failed miserably, he then painted a "rug" inspired, as she said by Mondrian, who had nothing to do with the 1980s, as he died in 1944!

erikcreature on July 23, 2012 at 8:21 pm
  6. I loved it when Hilari and Danielle were teamed together and Danielle's wall 'messed up' … And, Hilari's painting over it – was funny and adding the curtain was very creative "REALLY GREAT"… The judges just know what to look for.

CC - Kermit on July 19, 2012 at 5:12 pm
    • Yes, I have to give Hilari credit for even trying to help Danielle with that wall. Some contestants would have let Danielle crash and burn. Perhaps if Hilari had done so, she would have been one of the final two contestants. I still believe Matt Locke lost because he gave the stronger, more versatile assistant to his competitor, Jennifer, because he felt she needed that type of help in order for the homeowners for whom she was designing to have the best outcome. Both sets of homeowners for that finale had lost their homes in New Orleans, and Matt wanted the best for them. However, I think it cost him the competition, and Jennifer ended not even having more than a couple of episodes or so of her own show anyway. I think she had a family problem — a special needs child — that kept her from being able to go on. Anyway, while I don't believe it throwing a fellow contestant under the bus, I also would remember it is a competition. In addition, the contestants need to remember that HGTV has a team that will go in and fix mess-ups the contestants leave behind, so a contestant should not sacrifice the competition trying to fix another's mess.

Moonbeam on July 19, 2012 at 8:14 pm
  7. One of my favorite moments was Hilari's gracious, eloquent departure interview. It was the epitome of style and grace. She is, without doubt, a truly beautiful person. How many of us could bow out in such a classy way? Her clients must adore her.

Parkebernet on July 19, 2012 at 8:43 pm
    • I agree with your comment completely, that alone endeared me to her even more. She has great ideas,. Her use of color in her designs is so refreshing & unique, she has the personality to go with it & her recovery when things didn't quite go as planned she handled each situation calmly without drama. I would love to have her help me with design ideas. I recently moved my entire household in with my family. We have the room just not any ideas!!!

Nathalie on July 29, 2012 at 11:48 pm
  8. Britany Simon's party space – the Hollywood Regency Room – was breathtaking. She pulled it all together at the last minute (or so it seemed), and it looked as though she had spent months designing it. Britany's ideas are "genius" – from the chevron fence to the yurt bed. And this all came under extreme time pressure. I'm in awe of her talent.

Parkebernet on July 19, 2012 at 8:51 pm
  9. I would like to know where I can get the barcelona chairs from? I have been searching for these chairs for a year now. I saw them in the lobby of my former job two years ago and wanted them ever since.

Audra on July 19, 2012 at 8:55 pm
    • Audra, check out Ethan Allen or if you "search" barcelona chairs, it will bring up a few shops. I absolutely love barcelona chairs! Good luck on your search!! :D

KRJohnson on July 23, 2012 at 6:08 am
  10. .The worst moments were when Miera was blaming and criticizing others who were not deserving of her taunts. Especially the time she was working with Danielle and criticizing how she was being spoken to when Danielle said nothing along this line to Miera.

The best moments, watching and listening to David as Mentor. He is very good at making the Designer look at their work as others might see it, without telling them what is wrong or what they should do. Example: Just a few words to Danielle about her Black and Gold choice for the second time, resulted in Danielle getting accolades from the Judges for her added color. David is doing such a good job and is very multi-talented

Lois on July 19, 2012 at 10:15 pm
    • i think Tanika was a better mentor then david.

designoholic on July 21, 2012 at 9:11 am
      • FYI… Tanika was the "host". David was the mentor. :D

KRJohnson on July 21, 2012 at 2:43 pm
    • I agree with the worst moment.

The best moment for me was really the entire Kardashian show. The colors that were used throughout the office space are my favorite. Even though a few designers had a few stumbles… the overall concept and design style were spot on for me. :D

KRJohnson on July 23, 2012 at 6:12 am