Liz Gray

Featured Blogger for HGTVersus

Jul 25

David on the Finale: “She Just Glistened in Front of the Camera”

Design Star Winner Danielle Colding With Host David Bromstad, Judge Vern Yip and Judge Genevieve Gorder

The mentor and host joined the design panel this week as guest judge. See his critiques of the designs + why the panel chose Danielle.

Do you agree with David’s critiques? Who did you want to win Design Star? Chat in the comments below.

Posted at 10:00 am

190 Comments

1. I see HGTV has taken down all the positive comments about Brittany. No surprise there. The panel was just plain WRONG in it's choice of Danielle. I have never watched a single episode of Meg's show because they got it wrong last year, too. I will not be watching Danielle. Brittany has more talent in her pinky than any of the other designers in their whole being and nothing is going to hold her back. Actually, HGTV has become one of the most boring channels on cable. They have devolved into a cheap and quick "house hunters" production show which is sooooo old and sooooo boring. The best thing going for the channel is the Property Brothers. This used to be a channel about decorating and now it is about real estate. I don't care about million dollar rooms or home inspections, etc. They used to be interesting and offer real how-tos and how to decorate tips. That is all gone now. They have lost me as a viewer and the latest with Design Star has just sealed it.

Guest on July 25, 2012 at 8:31 am
    • I feel EXACTLY the same way, so I guess both our comments will be removed soon. Daniel has the worst rooms all season and should have been eliminated after the second show. They let real talent go. Feels like the judges were afraid of Britney because she ACTUALLY HAS talent.

Jo in Minnepolis on July 25, 2012 at 8:42 am
    • SO TIRED OF HEARING TEAM BRITTANY WHINE! That's all you've done all season. Get over yourselves. Danielle was fantastic and deserved to win. Neither you, nor Brittany are very gracious.

@KatCharbonnet on July 25, 2012 at 8:49 am
      • Ditto

Toni on July 25, 2012 at 10:35 am
    • I AGREE! HGTV is so disappointing! Brittanyy was clearly the winner! Best of luck Brittany!!

guest on July 25, 2012 at 11:53 am
    • I agree with you about HGTV going down the tubes – I'm SO tired of House Hunters, etc. Used to love all the design shows (ie:Design on a Dime), but now it's just Candace or Genevive – booor-ing! I signed up for cable just to get HGTV & Food Network, but cancelled this month because neither is worth watching most of the time (sooo tired of Diners, Drive-ins etc.) Seems like they find a show we like, then ram it down our throats or quit showing it. I think the competition shows are fun, but they seem "rigged" and too often the best people get sent home. They might get me back if they let THE PUBLIC that watches be the judge – after all, we're the ones that have to support the new show (or not).

scootersandi on July 25, 2012 at 12:09 pm
    • Brittany didn't win because she couldn't connect with the audience.
      Even look at the last episode in the difference of the way that Brittany and Danielle connected with the home owners.
      Brittany comes across cold, while Danielle is warm and personable. When you're on TV personality matters.

That said – I agree about HGTV. I used to be addicted but now every time I turn on HGTV it's House Hunters. I am so sick of that show. I watch Scott, Sabrina and Meg. That's it. Looking very forward to watching Danielle.

Jill on July 25, 2012 at 1:58 pm
    • I so much agree with you on HGTV being all about real estate. HGTV used to be my must see tv, its becoming so boring. So sick of House Hunters, Property Virgins & Holmes on Homes. Give us a break & bring back, Design on a Dime or Room by Room. My 2 favorites. More decorating shows & less real estate!!!!

Sandy on July 25, 2012 at 3:17 pm
  2. Both designers are very good! But, I have to say that Britany was very consistent in all challenges, her work was amazing. She decors with elegance, style and she is very creative. It is true what someone mention before….in the last episode Danielle's family have a lot of accessories and artwork that she can uses. In the other hand, Brittany's family lacks of everything. It was amazing how she could create something out of nothing while the other one has everything. She just reorganized the whole room and add furniture. By the way…nobody saw or commented about where Danielle placed the TV. It was right in front of a wall that no one seated on the sofa can watch. Was not the right angle….was not the right place!! It is big no…no for me!! What happened to the judges??? I will like if Brittany has her own show….she was amazing in HGTV Design Star Season 2012. But good luck to Danielle….she is a good designer!

Ivette on July 25, 2012 at 8:34 am
    • They both had flaws this episode as David pointed out, but one thing you cannot do is ignore the design style of the client. This challenge called for them to work with a family and design a space with their needs in mind. While Britany's rooms would look wonderful in any magazine or television show visually, you can't have a program with a mediocre client reaction.

Phillygirlinde on July 25, 2012 at 8:45 am
  3. Danielle deserved to win. Her design style is very versatile. In the final challenge she gave her clients what they wanted. Can't wait to see her show. Brittany you have a great future ahead of you but it was Danielle's time to SHINE.

Sheila on July 25, 2012 at 8:35 am
  4. Both girls were good but I think Britany really was the shining star. She was never in the" elimination room and Danielle was there twice if not more. Think you made a huge mistake, but have no doubt Britany will be the winner in the end. So many doors will open for her!

moore on July 25, 2012 at 8:36 am
  5. The Food Channel realized that the judges can't force people on us that we won't watch. The ONLY way this would be fair was if ONLY the audience voted, ZERO input from those judges. I will NEVER EVER watch Meg, her voice is sooooooo annoying, she comes on and I change channels. They have tried to spin her into something viewers want, but nothing is interesting that she "designs'. Daniel has nothing to offer I would want to watch. I can design a room better than her with my eyes closed. Britney had style and a sense of class that seemed to bother the judges. It felt like they were afraid she had more talent than them. And well I think she does.

Jo in Minneapolis on July 25, 2012 at 8:38 am
    • I LOVE MEG. Her designs are fabulous and I love her spunk. Nobody forced her on me. I watch her by choice (as do millions of other Americans or her show wouldn't have been picked up again.) I also LOVE Danielle even more. her designs are amazing and she shines on camera. Can't wait for her show.

@KatCharbonnet on July 25, 2012 at 8:52 am
    • Birtany style was taste specific. I think she is capable of being versatile, she didn't show it in the finale. Although she has a particular design specialty, with a television show on HGTV, she will run into clients who desire more than her signature style. That is why I love Jonathan from Property Brothers, as well as David Bromstad. They don't just have a particular style; they add their own twist to different design styles. That said, Brittany is an excellent designer and will do well in whatever she endeavors to do. I hope she gets the opportunity to show us her versatility on HGTV.

Phillygirlinde on July 25, 2012 at 8:54 am
    • I love Meg and I love her show. You're really missing a good program because of pouting. Get over it.

Penelope on July 25, 2012 at 1:10 pm
  6. I am so glad Danielle won. She is way more versatile than Brittany. Brittany's rooms were great but they were always the same old…same old. You knew what to expect. Also, that wallpaper last night was just plain hideous and you could tell her cllients did not like what she did. The panel picked the right person.

PaterHound on July 25, 2012 at 9:01 am
    • I agree – the wallpaper was horrid and you could hardly find the photos – which were great. The family clearly wasn't very excited – the room was all grey -no color anywhere.

Penelope on July 25, 2012 at 1:11 pm
  7. I was disappointed that Brittany didn't win. She consistently excelled in her design and execution of her deisign for every challenge. She managed her time well, which Danielle consistently had problems with. . I think her only weakness was that she didn't come across as warm and as personable as Danielle on her camera challenges. Brittany's focus was on the design process and not in the presentation. Unfortunately, because this is a televeision program where HGTV want viewers to tune in, camera challenges represent half of the Design Star's format. I would like to see Brittany again in a few years after maturing and developing that "charisma" or connecting with the client and audience better. I know she can do it.

Patti on July 25, 2012 at 9:04 am
  8. I stopped watching Design Star a few years ago when the panel picked someone whom I thought was particularly boorish and not especially talented–clearly the panel's gratuitous attempt to be "different." (And frankly, dealing with judge GG's patronizing tone is still difficult.) But this season restored my faith in the judges' decisions. My two favorites were Danielle and Hilari. I think they both had the best personalities for TV, I'm looking forward to watching Danielle's show, and I hope to see Hilari join the HGTV family somehow too.

Karen in AZ on July 25, 2012 at 9:04 am
  9. "She just glistened before the camera." She was just sweating!

erikcreature on July 25, 2012 at 9:07 am
  10. I was surprised at the outcome. I liked Danielle's design ideas, but she did not deal well with time management throughout the season. She cried – A LOT! I thought Brittany just handled herself more professionally throughout and took on every challenge with ease. I do agree that her final room may not have been exactly what her clients were looking for, but it did address all their needs and was beautifully planned. I hope Brittany still has a shot on HGTV! There are no shows that address photography and we ALL have photos in our homes!

Chelle on July 25, 2012 at 10:02 am
    • If it addressed their needs so well, are all the toys in the garage? Zero storage?

DesignerEye on July 25, 2012 at 1:45 pm