Liz Gray

Featured Blogger for HGTVersus

Aug 1

David on All-Stars Ep 1: “We Have Tape…Why Not Use It?”

Design Star All Stars Host David Bromstad

Host David Bromstad reveals the jaw-dropping cost of the furniture seen in tonight’s challenge. Plus, the design details you couldn’t see on the show (very good and very bad.) See what David thought, then weigh in: Did the right designer go home?

Here’s what David had to say from the set:

What did you think of the premiere? Whose design deserved to win? Did the right person go home? Weigh in in the comments below.

Posted at 8:55 am

61 Comments

1. I think this is a great idea and I loved watching it yesterday. These 6 designs were a lot better than the ones shown on season 7 of design star. I wish they did not bring back Sparkle Josh, he is so annoying to watch and the only reason they brought him back is because of his odd personality.

Hilari should have won season 7 because she is good at design and interesting and fun to watch. Danielle is just very plain and boring and I do not think her show would last long (like every Design Star's show except for David's).

I hope Dan wins All Stars. He is very good at design and has a strong presence on TV that makes him interesting to watch. However I would not mind having Hilari winning because she deserved to win last season.

Here's my order of eliminations:

-Sparkle Josh
    -Tom
    -Leslie
    -Hilari
    -Dan

Mee on August 1, 2012 at 8:11 am
    • I think Kelli should have won all stars. I think eliminating her the first round was a mistake. She is a great designer and should've won season 6 anyway. Sparkle Josh should've been eliminated first he is not a god designer and if he were to win I would not watch the show. Since Kelli can't win i think Hilari should win. She has an amazing personalitry and I love the way she designs. Sparkle Josh should be eliminated next then Tom then Leslie then Hilari should win!!!! HILARI KICK SOME BTT!!!! love ya girl!!!!!!:)

Korinne on August 14, 2012 at 6:30 am
  2. I love Hillari. I would tune in to watch her. She is fun, when she says the furniture makes her happy, you can really see it in her sole.

Ms mackie on August 1, 2012 at 8:19 am
    • You are able to see it on the bottom of her feet?!

spelling queen on August 6, 2012 at 11:43 pm
  3. I always thought that Dan had the best skills to win Season 4. I was very disappointed when HGTV chose Antonio and as I thought, his show wouldn't last. Dan, on the other hand, has charisma, is fun to watch and his eye for design is really something. He has a unique (and good taste!) style and I hope this time HGTV pick him because he deserves a show. He is the best!

@Renato_S_Alves on August 1, 2012 at 8:44 am
    • I so agree… Dan was really cut shot and so were the viewers. Dan show would be inspiring and an enjoyment to watch even today.

Lynda Jones on August 7, 2012 at 3:37 pm
    • I so agree with you. As far as I concerned, Dan should have won season 4. He is by far better than those who have won since. The only designer that would be a real competition would be Karl from season 6..who also should have won. Dan and Karl can design anything and make it look like a million bucks.

Penny on August 9, 2012 at 5:59 pm
  4. The winner isn't getting their own show – just a guest spot on some other unnamed show and $25,000. Maybe it will be a guest host on House Hunters International, or the next HGTV house giveaway contest.

Kim on August 1, 2012 at 8:49 am
    • Which I think is insulting. Oh goody…I get to have a guest spot on a show..thrill. They should have their own show. This is just as much of a challenge as design star.

Penny on August 9, 2012 at 6:02 pm
  5. Love this concept and love the show! You have revived my interest in Design Star! Season Seven was awesome so I am so glad to see Hilari back…you go girl!

Bizylady on August 1, 2012 at 9:09 am
  6. The full episode video is not playing. It just keeps buffering. Browser: Chrome and Firefox. Thanks.

Eliza on August 1, 2012 at 9:37 am
    • Hi Eliza,
      The video should be working now — let me know if you're still having trouble.
      Thanks,
      Liz

Liz_HGTV on August 1, 2012 at 10:09 am
      • Hey Liz, The video plays up to and through the first commercial (approx 11 min in) and then just quits. I've tried refreshing it, but it does the same thing.

Thank you for your help.

Eliza on August 1, 2012 at 3:01 pm
      • still not working!

Alice on August 1, 2012 at 4:42 pm
    • I had the same problem. It eventually worked itself out, but so annoying that when I try to fast forward to where I was I have to watch the commercials over and over.

peggy on August 1, 2012 at 4:14 pm
  7. LOL I LOVE David. He is soo spot on with everything. Except, David Kelley DID use tape. She just didn't do it effectively…

Decoratinghobbyist on August 1, 2012 at 10:17 am
    • Hi, I am obsessed with Design Star. I just watched the episode again and David is correct. Kellie did not use tape.

peggy on August 1, 2012 at 8:19 pm
  8. If it cost over 2 million dollars to produce these six rooms, then most of that money was completely wasted! For 2 million+, each of the "designers" should have been able to, individually, produce a modest though well designed house! Not that I think any of them could do any such useful design project. Instead, they all just piled useless, though expensive crap, in a smallish space.

The joke, that is Design Starved continues!

erikcreature on August 1, 2012 at 1:04 pm
  9. My video will play up until that last few minutes. It stops at the point where they've sent away the designers to discuss their work and decide who's going home. It just goes to an ad then the video stops as if it's the end of the episode.

Mell on August 1, 2012 at 1:05 pm
  10. I wonder if Kellie still thinks Hilari is still a Freshman at the Senior Prom?

gotitright on August 1, 2012 at 1:57 pm
    • ha ha, that was kind of a snotty thing to say!

Jenny on August 1, 2012 at 3:25 pm
    • What did she mean by that? I thought that comment was very snotty, except I'm not really sure what she meant.

peggy on August 1, 2012 at 4:15 pm
      • She meant she should feel very lucky and honored to be chosen – like she hadn't earned the right to be there, which is ridiculous.

Mandy on August 2, 2012 at 10:10 am
    • Kellie had some serious 'tude going on for sure …

Kalenedral on August 8, 2012 at 5:19 am
    • She deserved to go home for her Mickey Mouse room, but even more because she was so absymally rude. Was glad to see her out of there.

Leslie on August 8, 2012 at 7:02 pm
    • Okay, the freshman was in the final three and would have won had the judges worn their glasses! lol (just have fun)

voice of truth on August 22, 2012 at 12:37 pm
    • The freshman graduated and became one of the final three and would have won had the judges worn their "Good" glasses. (just having fun)

1voiceoftruth on August 22, 2012 at 12:47 pm