Liz Gray

Featured Blogger for HGTVersus

Aug 8

David on Episode 2: “Please Take Some of This Junk Away”

David Bromstad With Design Star All Stars Contestants

Learn why David disagreed with the judges’ favorite room, what he loved in both spaces and why the eliminated designer went home.

Here’s what David had to say from the set:

Do you think the right designer won? Do you agree with who went home? Leave a comment below.

Posted at 9:42 am

89 Comments

1. I normally love Vern but I do have something that needs to be said. Vern is getting downright insulting. Yes he is the professional designer but his color preferences are not gospel. I LOVED the blue that Dan picked in this episode. Vern walking in and calling it a "granny color" was insulting. He could think of several blues that were better choices? Well that is just his preference. That blue was gorgeous and worked well even if he didn't care for it. This isn't the first time he has done this either. I don't like oranges, that doesn't mean designs with orange are bad and there are better color choices. Maybe he needs to start seperating his personal preferences from what actually works well in the design. That blue was a great choice in the design.

Marne on August 8, 2012 at 6:25 am
    • I was thinking the same thing. I was telling someone yesterday that you have to be careful when objectively judging color pallette. Unless it doesn't mesh with another color, or goes against a client's wishes, or doesn't have the style wanted, or doesn't set the right mood, or is bad in some other measure besides "I think they could have done a different color that I prefer," I think they should just be quiet about the room, or at least be more civil in their criticism. Even if you don't like Dan's blue, it worked well with the furniture and the style they were trying to achieve.

Brendan on August 8, 2012 at 7:09 am
    • Color looks different on TV versus what you see when you are in the room. Depending on what time of the day it is (light wise) and how many lights are on, the color can look different. Blues can be tricky. When you get it wrong, it is very wrong; when you get it right, it is delightful.

Calla on August 10, 2012 at 12:26 am
    • I agree…

Carol on August 10, 2012 at 5:34 pm
  2. glad sparkle josh is gone…enough said!

Vicki on August 8, 2012 at 7:10 am
    • Did 'sparkle' Josh call himself that during his season? I don't remember it, and I really, really hated it. Plus he talked about himself in third person! Yes, I'm glad he went home too.

guest on August 8, 2012 at 3:23 pm
      • I didn't want him to win, but I wanted Leslie to go home. I hate when they don't listen to the clients wishes. the client was very clear about mirrors, yet she insisted on mirrors.

Teri on August 9, 2012 at 9:37 am
  3. Please fix the All Stars episode 2 video!!!!! It keeps getting stuck at just a few minutes in, when they're recapping last week's elimination.

Jennifer on August 8, 2012 at 7:43 am
    • Hi Jennifer,
      We're working on fixing this! Thanks for letting us know.

Liz_HGTV on August 8, 2012 at 8:02 am
    • I've been trying to watch this episode and still cannot. I am so happy HGTV puts things on their website, I can't afford cable TV. Actually, I know quite a few people, like myself, who only watch HGTV via streaming. I am really disappointed that the technical problems have been increasing lately. I've trouble the past several weeks.

peggy on August 8, 2012 at 9:04 pm
    • It's not working for me either!

Winyan on August 16, 2012 at 9:56 pm
  4. I agree that Sparke Josh was the one to go but Leslie has better learn to talk less and listen more. The client said she did NOT want mirrors and Leslie got too. And it is insulting to rearrange things the other designers placed. I thought she was very annoying. However, Josh and Hilari really should have sat on her. Dan worked out his problem with Tom and their room was great. Tom may prove to be Dan's greatest competition.

Betty on August 8, 2012 at 8:14 am
    • Leslie should go. The number one thing a designer must do is do what the client wants. if they say no mirrors, they mean no mirrors. Leslie thought she knew best over everybody. She moved the bench which looked bad angled in the corner. Definitely not a team player!

Carol on August 10, 2012 at 5:50 pm
  5. Glad that Tom finally won because he does have great ideas although he can sometimes go out too far on a limb and that is where Dan reeled him back in…that being said..Tom was continually asking Dan to just jump in if he didnt agree and Dan was mum until he had enough & then he spoke up. He did speak up in a kind non-accusatory way which usually works well if you are disagreeing with someone and Tom complied, so applause to BOTH of them for the mature manner they handled their differences. Some people would have had a hissy fit even if you do speak to them in love.

Seems like Leslie also felt bad after Josh went home feeling she contributed. I'm all for people who try to work on their shortcomings and Leslie apologized for her behavior. Hilari and Josh get applause also for not arguing at her when she was driving them both nuts. Hard to rein in folks like that when they're on a tangent & even if they spoke to her like Dan did with Tom, I dont know that at the moment she would have agreed.

Wayne on August 8, 2012 at 8:46 am
    • I liked that Tom finally won, too, because I know he is self-conscious and is trying to gain respect and I thought his game art installations were a really good idea. I liked that Dan and Tom figured out how to work together so well.

I agree. Leslie was seriously obnoxious, but she actually felt bad about it and that is a good thing, but, YES, Hilari and Josh get my applause, too. They showed a lot of class. Too bad for Josh that it wasn't rewarded, but this is a talented group.

Deb on August 8, 2012 at 10:12 am
  6. Knew that Vern and Genevieve would send Josh home sooner than later. Neither of them care for his bling style by their comments. For every 1 good comment, he'd get 2 bad ones. That being said, Josh exited in a most gracious manner.

This seems to be the Year of the Yip…as in Vern Yip…he wanted Danielle as the winner and got that done. He seems to be leaning towards Dan as the winner of this year. Vern never cared for Antonio when he won over Dan..but I think Candace & Genevieve steamrolled him into going along with Antonio, or they outnumbered him with 2 vs. 1. So I guess its his turn to get the designers in that he wants.
    I like Dan…nice guy, designs well, plays well with others. (And I also am happy that Danielle won).
    But…Hilari….is my girl!!! So glad they brought her back and hope she gets a show somewhere somehow!

Wayne on August 8, 2012 at 8:50 am
    • I don't remember him not caring for Antonio. I think this will be different, because they already know the designers strengths and personalities and design sense – and the designers know their tastes, so in the end personality and charisma might end up mattering a whole lot more.

Dan has a good personality and charisma. So does Hilari. Tom and Leslie have nice sides to them, but they have more obvious personality issues that they are trying to work through. Or should I say that Leslie has a personality issue, Tom has a charisma and self-consciousness issue.

Deb on August 8, 2012 at 10:19 am
      • I dont think Vern personally disliked Antonio but I think he simply felt Dan was a better choice than Antonio & had better designs. He seemed to have more positive statements about Dan than about Antonio. I remember he made fun of the scale of small furniture which Antonio chose for an office design of some big shot lady whose name escapes me at the moment. Anyway, it was a funny remark. Made Antonio laugh also. But then again Vern complained about Dans nervous laughter which even David Bromstad disagreed with Vern & said it was no big deal. You never know with the Yipper.

Wayne on August 8, 2012 at 6:56 pm
    • I am 100% with you on all comments made in this blog. Hilari is certainly an inspiration to me. I believe she brings something different to the table on every show! I am crossing my fingers so hard that she wins the first season of Design Star All Stars. I would have loved to see her win Design Star, I would have loved her show. Back off Leslie….let Hilari do her thing:)

Haley on August 8, 2012 at 4:58 pm
      • I thought they showed a preview of Tom telling Leslie something like..dont touch or move anything –so I think Leslie will be at it again in the next episode.

Wayne on August 8, 2012 at 6:58 pm
        • when tom told leslie that says he nows how to put THAT BLOWFISH LESLIE in her place

darrell on August 16, 2012 at 3:42 pm
      • im with totally haley

darrell on August 16, 2012 at 3:40 pm
    • I agree about Vern…just saw this episode and I knew before it even started that Josh would be the one to go…Why have him on the show when they all so blatantly hate his style..I love him…but this episode took a lot of his sparkle away, you could tell through the whole episode….Vern makes me nauseated and Geneviev is no better. I remember back in the day when both of them were little craft designers on Trading Spaces!! How have they become the designer bible experts?? Cannot stand Vern…what a jerk…

gigi on August 14, 2012 at 4:32 pm
  7. HELP!!! Episode 2 is stuck when Tom says this is really annoying……..and it is, repeatedly!!! Thx; can't wait to watch the entire transformation.

Didi on August 8, 2012 at 8:51 am
    • Still isn't working for me. Am I doing something wrong?

beaglebeagleduck on August 8, 2012 at 6:41 pm
      • No, it's not working for me either….it's getting really annoying

TheNyanCat~nyaa! on August 8, 2012 at 6:42 pm
  8. Hilari and Josh was very gracious and kept their cool when they were being challenged by leslie. Hopefully next season will all the new designers will enter each design with a LISTENING EAR.

shalom on August 8, 2012 at 9:05 am
  9. I really like Sparkle Josh and was sad to see him let go. I also really like Hilari and Dan. Only one can win, though. This version of DS has been enjoyable so far. Re the rooms for the dancers — the blue color Dan chose must have looked bad in person, b/c it didn't read badly on TV. The rooms were just okay for me. They should have Divine Design whatshername come and redo them. Her stuff is fabulous.

onetuffgoob on August 8, 2012 at 9:12 am
    • Candace Olson does Devine Design, doesn't she?

Laura on August 8, 2012 at 6:46 pm
    • "Divine Design whatshername" LOL wow – how hard would it have been to google Divine Design?

Cully on August 9, 2012 at 5:35 am
  10. Can anyone explain Leslie's comment to Hilari last night – "You are a freshman who was invited to the senior prom, you should be honored to be here…or did I hear the statement incorrectly."

Vicki on August 8, 2012 at 9:14 am
    • You mean Kellie's comment to Hilari; I took it to mean that Kellie thought Hilari was young, inexperienced, and hadn't earned the right to be there, whereas, she had, by her previous experience(s), her own hgtv show, fan favorite, etc. Personally, I never cared for Kellie's arrogance and applaud the designers who are showing such grace under pressure!

Didi on August 8, 2012 at 9:27 am
    • I took Leslie's comment to mean that Hilari was not as experienced or capable as some of the others, i.e. seniors vs freshmen. It seemed mean and Hilari looked hurt. Leslie seemed pretty full of herself this season and I was glad to see her go early. I totally love Hilari and was hoping she would win her season. She always seems so comfortable in front of the camera, can express herself well and I love her point of view.

guest on August 8, 2012 at 9:34 am
      • I took it to mean that Hilari just finished her episode so recently that she was barely finished with her season, where the others have had the time since their seasons… Meaning, possibly younger, more time to get opportunities like this, etc.

Deb on August 8, 2012 at 10:01 am
    • it was kellie

J.B. on August 8, 2012 at 4:43 pm
    • I thought it was downright rude.

Winyan on August 16, 2012 at 9:57 pm