Liz Gray

Contributor to HGTVersus

Aug 15

David On All Stars Ep 3: “Listen, I Warned Them…”

David on Design Star All Stars Episode 3

David chats about why Hilari and Dan should have heeded his advice about the “slime green” wall color, and why Leslie and Tom’s set was made for TV.

Watch what David had to say about one of his favorite Design Star episodes, ever:

Do you agree with David’s critique? Did the right designer go home? Voice your opinion in the comments below.

Posted at 10:00 am

83 Comments

1. Dan is my favorite and was my fan favorite when he was competing against Antonio. I am extremely bummed that Tom was kept over Dan, especially when Tom completely blew his camera challenge and his accessories were overwraught. I agree that the green color was overwhelming but Dan stuck to his guns, which is admirable. I am so disappointed I may not watch the final episode.

ML Sherman on August 15, 2012 at 6:15 am
    • I couln't agree more. Dan is be far one of the best designers EVER>! I love David also. Dan has class and knows how to work with others. The green was not my favorite color, but on tv it was fine, right in line with the color saturation needed for HD. Tom and Leslie's room was washed out. It was NOT made for tv or filming. Up close you could see the detail, but not on screen. I wish HGTV would suck it up and give Dan a show, if only for a mall period. His talent deserves to be seen by viewers. I could list reasons why the other 3 should have been released, but I am a positive person. Dan you are great! I have always supported you. Hope HGTV sees how many love Dan's work and brings him back in some form. As said by one of the judges last week, the use of suitcases for a media center was genius and you are outstanding, a true decorating genius.

mareski on August 15, 2012 at 12:58 pm
      • I agree with Sherman as well. Besdies, his other work was far superior to the others. David did warn Hillary and Dan about the color, but he was not as forceful about that color as he was with Leslie and Tom. Frankly, I don't know why the accumulative work and designs should not count every week. So someone gets lucky one week. It kind of reminds me of when Megan was chosen over that architect Karl, I especially remember that horrible reading corner at the top of the stairs that she had done; she should have gone home then.

Soto on August 19, 2012 at 6:59 pm
    • Omg I'm sooooo mad and annoyed they booted Dan off!!!! Thy made the same mistake when they choose anthony over Dan yrs back. What do they have against him??? So dum!!! So unfair!!!! They should make out back to having the fans voting if vern and genivive can't get it right!!! Sorry Dan u were prolly the winner!! Although I appreciate Leslie's "out" lifestyle, hgtv doesn't need another "ghetto-fabulous" designer like Hillary will be! And also, sorry but Danielle's new show is a no-go!!! Once again, judge's got it wrong and brittney shoulda had her own show!!! Such a big contest to be won by 2nd runner up. Too bad

Sarah on August 15, 2012 at 10:17 pm
    • I also couldn't agree more… soooo disappointed that Dan got the boot. Even though he made an unfortunate choice with the green, I don't think it was any worse than the wall paper in Tom and Leslie's room (how boring), and Dan has been so solid in terms of his designs throughout this season and his own season. I could guarantee that Dan would have a huge audience if HGTV were to be lucky enough to have him host a show.

Jade on August 17, 2012 at 7:25 pm
      • exactly!! Tom is so predictable and boring. What the hell does Dan have to do??? Maybe another network??

Teresa Conti on August 27, 2012 at 11:39 pm
    • Amen…ditch Tom!

Lynn on August 20, 2012 at 10:45 am
    • I agree that Tom deserved the boot. I like him on a basic level but his love of neutrals is getting old. Liked Hilari & Dan's room much better! Blue & orange is a color combo I've always loved. Just like red & purple or pink & brown.

Ry33 on August 22, 2012 at 12:00 am
    • I am so GLAD TO HEAR others say the same thing I was thinking. But let me take it a step further. I love Dan… he is an amazingly talented designer. If he hosted a shoe, we all know that it would be as hot as kitchen cousins, at least because Dan is gorgeous. BUT he is also gifte didn't seem to take d. He comes up with new ideas, ways of doing things we haven't thought of, and innovative designs. So heen watchinge used a bright green. So? I wanted to see would do next. I didn't get to because some of the judge bes are biased. Here it is plain and straight… Genevieve… I have been watching from beginning and I do not understand your qualification for being a judge. I remembesr you running around barefoot on trading spaces. You had crazy designs. You took hardly anything seriously. How can you put yourself above a real, legitimate designer like Dan who is so watchable and loved by the camera? Twice you let him down. I;m thinking you must not want anyone prettier than you winning,

Teresa Conti on August 27, 2012 at 11:31 pm
      • Forgive the spelling. computer spell check. I miss Dan already. I don't think I will watch design star anymore. I'm always disappointed. HGTV just can't give a pretty face a win. Why is that, Genevieve??
        David Bromstad is far more talented and gifted and adorable and should be a judge!! He could easily replace bitter, unqualified Genevieve.

Teresa Conti on August 27, 2012 at 11:37 pm
  2. Videos are (still) not working!!!

Guest on August 15, 2012 at 6:53 am
  3. I so agree with ML Sherman!!! Dan hasn't had one mis step. It's like the producers read the comments and because everyone thought Dan was the shoe-in winner they gave him the boot. Very bummed. Leslie's wall paper was awful and the room way tooooooooo cluttered.

Clydie M on August 15, 2012 at 7:43 am
    • This show was taped and the winner decided before any of us got to comment on it.

Corvette Lady on August 15, 2012 at 8:18 am
  4. The green was no worse than the orange. There was too much orange. Dan should have listened to David and Hilari about the green and Hilari should have listened to Dan about the ottomans. Tom is all right , but he is no design star. Where in the world are Antonio and the guy who is redoing his southern hometown? They are stars!

shlC on August 15, 2012 at 7:44 am
    • Antonio is not a star. and so his show sucked and ended.

Teresa Conti on August 27, 2012 at 11:48 pm
  5. I was so positive that Dan was going to win and he didn't even make it to the finale and Tom and Leslie did. Dissapointing, but I will still be happy if Hilari or Leslie wins. Tom's a good designer, but not a star.

guest on August 15, 2012 at 7:49 am
  6. I am very sad Dan had to leave. He was my favorite and I loved everything he did – until the green wall. David and Hilari and even Tom warned him but it was just too much. However, his fireplace was great and he helped Hilari with the bookcase. I think they all had problems, Hilari had too much orange, Tom too many accesories and Leslie doesn't seem to know who she is or what she wants. But she did listen to David about the bold colors on top of the set. I really don't care who wins now, I guess Hilari. But Dan will always be my favorite.

Betty on August 15, 2012 at 8:03 am
    • I'm with you-Tom should've been sent home, not Dan!

Randi on August 20, 2012 at 12:09 pm
  7. Dan and Hilari's room had too many bright colors. Orange and green are not complementary colors. There was too much of both. That room would drive me crazy. I did like the cove for the computer, but that pink chair was out of place. Dan and Hilari should have listened to David and gotten rid of the bright colors. If Dan used the green in the recesses in the wall and the green to outline, it would have worked better. The blue curtains were too much and fought the lime green. I liked Tom and Leslie's room because it had a more calming effect. I like how Tom did the walls. However, I am not a fan of wallpaper. Yes, the room was too cluttered and could have used fewer decorative pieces. I did not like the coffee table. It was cute, but lacked space to put useful pieces For the camera challenge, I liked Hilari. She has presence, enthursiasm and charm. I was not impressed with Leslie's skating routine. Tom needed more work on his presentation. I am disappointed that Dan was let go. He needed more time to hone his skills both in decorating and in presentation.

Nancy on August 15, 2012 at 8:12 am
    • remember, this is a boardinghouse & was to be designed for pre-college girls. their tastes would be different than 22 year old females, thus brighter colors would fit right in…not neutral colors. the blue curtains didn't really fit in, but a different choice could have been better.

terry on August 22, 2012 at 8:35 pm
  8. I thought Dan was amazing, and I also wanted him to win. He's done awesome things in each episode. But why didn't he listen to David's advice? Believing in your ideas is commendable, but when two people are saying that the color does not work (and one of them is the mentor), I think it would have been smarter to take some advice.

Carolyn on August 15, 2012 at 8:13 am
    • It's particularly telling when a similar green color choice he used in the previous time he was on Design Stars got a lot of criticisms from the same two judges (Vern and Gen) that he wasn't listening to his feedback. Hilari thought that green choice was hideous and tried to tell him, but she didn't press the issue. David tried to tell him. He refused to listen. It was a horrendous choice and, in the end, it cost him. I thought maybe Tom would get bounced because his on camera challenge was the worst of the four, but at the end of the day, green ended up meaning 'go' home.

Smitty on August 16, 2012 at 1:43 pm
  9. I just wonder if Dan thought he was the chosen one and that he could do no wrong. A lot of fans thought he should have won over Antonio and I am sure Dan has heard that many times since he lost. He may have thought HGTV was trying to right a wrong by having him on this show. He made a bad choice and didn't listen to all the people who told him it was a bad choice.

Corvette Lady on August 15, 2012 at 8:22 am
    • I agree.

Wayne on August 15, 2012 at 8:00 pm
    • No fuck that. He is a designer and he makes his own choices. Don't you get that?? I wanted to see what he was going to do next. I didn't give a shit what anyone else was going to do.

Teresa Conti on August 27, 2012 at 11:52 pm
  10. *sigh* I'm really disappointed that Dan was sent home. I loved his designs, minus that horrid green. Of course, I'm still disappointed that Josh was sent home over Leslie…. I'm really wondering what Vern and Genevieve are thinking with last season and with this All Star series too…. :P

juliebug04 on August 15, 2012 at 8:30 am