Liz Gray

Contributor to HGTVersus

Aug 15

David On All Stars Ep 3: “Listen, I Warned Them…”

David on Design Star All Stars Episode 3

David chats about why Hilari and Dan should have heeded his advice about the “slime green” wall color, and why Leslie and Tom’s set was made for TV.

Watch what David had to say about one of his favorite Design Star episodes, ever:

Do you agree with David’s critique? Did the right designer go home? Voice your opinion in the comments below.

Posted at 10:00 am

83 Comments

1. Dan was great. But everyone warned him against that ugly green wall, and he'd even been warned about before, when he first on the show. I WISH HE'D LISTENED! I wonder what made him think the green was so fabulous….as he seemed to believe it was… when EVERYONE told him he should re-consider. :(

lyn on August 17, 2012 at 1:02 pm
  2. Does anyone else think that the new "AllStar" will be featured on David's show? That seems like the logical choice, since David has been the chief mentor/critic for this program and DS as well. Time will tell, I guess. Good luck to Hilari, Leslie and Tom on the final!

cheryl johnson on August 17, 2012 at 2:53 pm
    • If it is indeed true that Genevieve twitters Hilari, then my guess is she'll be on her show, although if she does win, it'd be fun to see what she and David could do with their combined love of color!!!

guest on August 18, 2012 at 7:37 am
      • Did you like Davids show when it moved to Miami? I didnt. Seems there were always problems with him getting what he wanted to get done…either slow delivery from a company or tile ran out…or painter didn't paint right colors…something…..and the homes were packed stacked with stuff and in the smaller Miami homes…or any home…packed does not always work…I think he began to just send his assistant shopping at Home Goods and such and she didnt shop in that same cohesive decorative style as David nor as good as the lady with the lisp in his first show who shopped with him. Neither do I particularly care for Genevieves style. But whichever show the winner will be on, will probably come and go & I'll miss it. You know how that goes.

Wayne on August 18, 2012 at 7:11 pm
  3. Shoulda listened to David!!! That green wall was hideous; totally took away from the rest of the room, altho I loved the couch. Hilary picks out great couches like Leslie picks out great coffeetables. Dan designs and builds fantastic things, and Tom's a thoughtful designer, but his manic, exaggerated mannerisms and his voice drive me to distraction. I actually liked the wallpaper in both rooms but think both rooms missed the mark when it comes to teenage girls. Where's the comfy furniture you can just plop down in/on when you come in the door? Like a really comfy chair with big arms you can curl up in? And for all the hoopla about mirrors in the second episode, neither room had a mirror by the door which I found interesting because if this is indeed a boardingschool for girls, girls are gonna wanna look at themselves as they're coming and going!!! I'm beginning to feel that the judges are looking for the same old thing, a very contrived design style, and one misstep will send someone home, where on another episode/season, the same thing might have sealed the deal for that particular designer. Lots of inconsistencies I can see. I'd like to see some practical spaces that are designed for real life, that don't look so 'showroomy'. Wonder what those shipping containers are gonna be like; do they even have any windows???

guest on August 18, 2012 at 7:35 am
    • I think there are at least a couple of windows; check out the 'sneak peek' for episode 4.

guest on August 18, 2012 at 8:00 am
      • Great points! Great observations!
        Notice Hilari's furn piece breaks before she gets it in her room Howdya fix that mess?

Wayne on August 18, 2012 at 6:58 pm
  4. We love the design competition shows. We would like to watch them every week! We love David Bromstad and we agree with his critique and comments! We have loved him from the beginning of the first show. He has survived these years because he is an interesting designer, artist, smart commentator and has a lovely voice. He has a diplomatic way of critiqing people…. A much nicer personality than many. Please use him as much as possible.

Sharon Irene on August 22, 2012 at 2:40 am
  5. Ah, Dan … *shakes-head* …

Kalenedral on August 22, 2012 at 4:29 am