Liz Gray

Contributor to HGTVersus

Aug 22

David on the All Stars Finale: The Toast Goes To…

David Bromstad Design Star All Stars Host

David breaks down the designs and the final decision. Plus, inside intel from the judging room.

Here’s what David had to say from the set:

Do you agree with David (and the judges)? Did the right designer win? Weigh in in the comments below.

Posted at 10:40 am

212 Comments

1. Hilari seemed to be the season winner when considering all of the episodes, including the finale. I hope HGTV offers her her own show.
    Did not care for Leslie's space at all – it looked very messy and lacked design. I also find her on-camera personality too abrasive. Hers will be one show I will not watch.
    Tom's space looked very classic and I love his style, but he seems to have only that one style.
    HGTV judges blew it on this one.

Margaret on August 24, 2012 at 4:06 pm
  2. WOW, great minds definitely think alike – I knew I couldn't be alone! David, I was there in Bryant Park when you did your "glass house", have watched all of your shows, and think you are a talented designer. But do you expect me to believe you think Leslie deserved to win? You have got to be kidding me, right? Hilari was obviously the one who should have won, and all of this outrage should be more than proof of that.

Who really made this decision? It couldn't possibly have been based on a knowledge of good design! Was it the head of the network that demanded Leslie for the win? Or Gen's prejudice against the color salmon? I think she was so disrespectful! I even think Tom's room was head and tails better than Leslie's dated looking mess. That Murphy bed has been done to death on design shows. That's not creativity!

Renee on August 24, 2012 at 7:47 pm
  3. Thank you Patdlvd for correcting me. Hilari and Tom's family were there also. Loren stated that Leslie would be on the White Room Challenge and possibly other programs. If they wanted a pretty blond Brittany would have been a better choice.

maria on August 25, 2012 at 5:46 am
  4. I missed the finale Wednesday but have to agree with a lot of the comments in this string regarding Hilari's grammer and voice. She was a good designer but to be considered for a network show she has to drop the accent and take care not to misuse idioms as she did throughout the show. I liked her attitude, as I did the attitudes and design skills of Tom and Leslie. Leslie actually had begun to irritate me with her 'hot mess' design style and too-bubbly persona. I don't know whether I'll watch her show but I do congratulate her for the win.

JanaInSendera on August 25, 2012 at 7:30 am
  5. Dan was actually my first choice, but I had to reluctantly agree with the judges about his unfortunate color choice, especially since David warned him it was too much for the space. As for Hilari, I think she did a great job imparting useful information during the finale, although as the judges mentioned she did not have her usual energy, probably from sheer exhaustion. None of them actually had great camera challenges — Tom reverted back to his former tense and unsmiling self while Leslie exhibited the same manic energy she has shown in the past when nervous. Of the three, I think Hilari showed the most improvement in the camera challenge.

I still believe that of the three spaces Hilari's was the best, with Tom a close second. Tom made two mistakes which I believe cost him the win — ignoring the judges on adding more color and ignoring David's advice to turn the deck into usable space. After viewing the photos posted online, the only criticism I could see for Hilari's space was a little too much empty wall space and too little function on the side opposite the bed (although it looked like her intention was for that area to be devoted to yoga practice, which I personally would enjoy). Leslie's space still looked cluttered, cramped, and too dark in the photos.

And as for Hilari acting as though she deserved to win, I think all of the designers were there to win, and both Leslie and Tom said as much, not just Hilari. Some may find Hilari's outgoing personality a little overwhelming, but when it comes to being on television I think that is a plus. Overall, I liked all three of the designers, but in the finale I feel that Hilari did the best job.

Disagree with judges on August 25, 2012 at 11:27 am
  6. I am so glad that I was not off the mark! I loved Hillari's room the most and, if either of the two should have won over here it should have been Tom's. Not Leslie's. NOT. But let's face it, HGTV has been largely irrelevant for quite some time. Maybe not winning is the best thing that could have happened for her career…

flo on August 26, 2012 at 7:49 am
  7. You know what, I'm starting to believe it's a conspiracy to keep Hilari from having her own show on HGTV. She brings in the viewers on Design Star but she is threatening to the current hosts (Gen I'm speaking directly to you). I can see why. She is vibrant and her energy is infectious. Besides Candace, she is the only person on the network I'd truly want to ask advice of. This is not meant to take anything away from Tom or Leslie. The judges had a difficult decision and their rooms were quite nice (and I do find Tom quite endearing), but I think given the body of work displayed over the competition as well as past camera challenges (saying nothing of her fantastic shipping container!), Hilari should have won.

Nina J. on August 26, 2012 at 6:55 pm
  8. I can't speak for anyone else, but I'm not on any PR team for Hilari. I happen to think that over the course of time, her personality and design were more engaging than Leslie. Congrats to Leslie though. Hilari and Tom, I think you all are pretty great! Hope to see you all on TV again soon!

Nina J on August 26, 2012 at 7:04 pm
  9. If I happened to agree with you about Hilari being a slob (which I don't), I'm still confused as to why Hilari did not win. Is HGTV not in the business of making money? I think many people have been turned off of watching the network since they once again did not choose Hilari. If I were trying to keep ratings up, as HGTV, I'd have chosen Hilari.

Nina J on August 26, 2012 at 7:13 pm
  10. The Murphy bed? Where do you keep the bedding. You can't even close it with pillows on it. the space was cluttered, and look disorganized. Not a vacation space at all, looked like an attic.

Judges got it wrong!