Liz Gray

Featured Blogger for HGTVersus

Aug 22

David on the All Stars Finale: The Toast Goes To…

David Bromstad Design Star All Stars Host

David breaks down the designs and the final decision. Plus, inside intel from the judging room.

Here’s what David had to say from the set:

Do you agree with David (and the judges)? Did the right designer win? Weigh in in the comments below.

Posted at 10:40 am

212 Comments

1. I'm glad to see I'm not the only one who thinks Hilari should have won. I'll really miss seeing her on TV, and I hope that this group of comments will influence the network to consider keeping her around in some capacity. Team Hilari! :)

Joanna on August 22, 2012 at 8:40 am
  2. I think it is the general consenses that Hilari should have won. I don't know what the judges were thinking. Their commenst suggested that Hilari was the winner. I really don't understand why they picked Leslie. I hope to see great things in Hilari's future.

Jolanda on August 22, 2012 at 8:48 am
  3. Truly disappointed with judges' choice. When it was stated (as usual) they all agreed, I had my doubts. Hilari had by far the most functional and inviting room. Yes, please give us fair warning when Leslie will appear. It will be a good movie night.

Christmas Lady on August 22, 2012 at 8:48 am
  4. Hilari was just head and shoulders above the other two. Tom tried but Leslie??? Her container looked like a visit to a scout campout where you "rough it". Everything was confusing and nothing seemed to "go with" anything else. I didn't realize that anyone had been told to design their container specifically for children. As for Genevieve…I just couldn't believe how cutting her comment was about the "salmon" color Hilari chose. Look at the video, her demeanor went from friendly (head up with a smile) to nasty (head down with closed lips). She didn't critique, she criticized and it reeked of jealousy.
    Well, I guess when you think about it, Hilari being the newest design star, wasn't supposed to win. And, Genevieve was there to make sure she didn't. Hilari has so much personality and talent as a designer that she is like an iceberg – we've only seen the tip and there is SO much more just waiting to surface. If Genevieve can't be impartial, maybe she needs to step down. Think about it. Everyone, someday, outlives their usefulness and it takes a wise person to realize when it's time to go.

LI Turquoise on August 22, 2012 at 8:48 am
  5. Clearly Hilari has a PR person out there trying to disparage Leslie…. that is a classless tactic…Tom has great sophistication but the bottom line is the person who deserved it won….BTW it plays well in Chatham!!!

Reality1 on August 22, 2012 at 8:55 am
  6. Leslie won? ?? Granted throughout the series, Leslie's camera challenges were engaging and entertaining. She did win an individual challenge and a co-partner challenge. Perhaps that was taken into consideration when she was chosen as the 1st Design All Stars Winner, because it surely could not have been for that suffocating, disjointed, excessively accessorized hot mess that she presented. Perhaps it looked different in person, but on TV, Leslie's space was not pleasing to the eye. I just reviewed the rooms again, and I am still puzzled. What were the judges thinking? I simply can't imagine that space on any magazine cover, that is unless it was to demonstrate how to de-clutter a hot mess. Hilari was the better designer last night.

Teresa Wilson on August 22, 2012 at 8:59 am
  7. I agree with most other comments, Leslie's room was so juvenile and cluttered and looked as though an amateur designed the space. There was no comparison between her space and Hilari's and Tom's designs. I mean really would you want to sleep in that "Murphy bed"? Quite frankly,Tom was the only one who actually contributed something personally, his sketches, which were quite special. Hilari has a tremendous amount of talent and a keen eye for design and she will be quite successful. Tom is by far the most elegant designer, and perhaps, that was not what the judges were looking for in this segment.. In my opinion, Leslie should not have won this competition, but should have been a tie between Tom and Hilari. Going forward, I think the winner of thiis series should be decided by the public by casting their votes on line or on their smart phones. Just saying..

Maggie on August 22, 2012 at 9:02 am
    • or there should have been a final two…

guest on August 22, 2012 at 9:47 am
    • I accidentally hit the thumbs down on Maggie's response here. I totally agree with you Maggie and meant to hit the thumbs up.

Jacqueline on August 22, 2012 at 8:18 pm
  8. It would have been great fun to do this series backwards; start out with the shipping containers and get six different points of view, then go from there. Can you imagine Sparkle Josh's space, and Dan's creativity…..!

guest on August 22, 2012 at 9:04 am
    • If there were a final two, it should have been Hilari and Tom. Someone else said it – Leslie's room was a hot mess (literally).

ArmoP on August 22, 2012 at 11:04 am
  9. Whew! I'm glad that I am not cra-cray. Leslie's room looked HORRIBLE on my TV; the worst of the 3. Tom's was actually the best, but he has never displayed any range, so for that reason, I don't think he should have won. Hillari's room was beautiful. Oh, and when that Murphy bed was pulled down, it looked like a burlap prison bunk!

harleyb on August 22, 2012 at 10:29 am
    • RIGHT ON!!!!!

stacey on August 22, 2012 at 12:07 pm
  10. I was very surprised when Leslie won. First, she had problems getting along with others. How will she work with others? Also, her room just didn't flow well. I wouldn't want to sit in that room for very long. Also, I could have designed that outdoor space with just two chairs and a canopy. There was no thought to her outdoor space. What were the judges even thinking???? I don't understand their criteria on this one. Did she win just because of the Murphy bed. Really??? I liked Dan the best. He should have won instead of Antonio when he was on Design Star. But my choices for this last challenge were Hillari, Leslie, and Tom. Of the three, I really liked Tom's and Hillari's rooms the best and would have been satisfied if either of them had won. The judges really got this one WRONG!

Jan on August 22, 2012 at 11:04 am
    • Leslie's room was ugly!!!!! Everyone knows.
      HGTV had a motive to select her.

Stacey on August 22, 2012 at 12:06 pm
      • It's all business and the bottom line is, that is all the judges and producers care about. HGTV really doesn't care about their audience at all. Dan should not have gone home over the green. Their were other issues in the other spaces that were worse. Dan should have won this competition too, but as I said, business is business.

Penny on August 22, 2012 at 4:40 pm
        • With that being said, Hilary should have won this competition. She was the only one that truly addressed the outdoor space. Like Dan, Hilary was robbed.

Penny on August 22, 2012 at 4:42 pm