Liz Gray

Contributor to HGTVersus

Aug 22

David on the All Stars Finale: The Toast Goes To…

David Bromstad Design Star All Stars Host

David breaks down the designs and the final decision. Plus, inside intel from the judging room.

Here’s what David had to say from the set:

Do you agree with David (and the judges)? Did the right designer win? Weigh in in the comments below.

Posted at 10:40 am

212 Comments

1. I agree with so many others. Hilarie's room looked very contemporary, stylist, and tasteful, and looked great on air. And, she has loads of personality, as evidenced during multiple segments of Design Stars and the All Stars show. Her container room was wonderful, including the outdoor area. Tom did his usual beautiful job, albeit a bit of the same that we have seen before. Leslie's container looked cluttered, did not flow well, and her exterior porch was ordinary. Hilari by far was the best designer. I am disappointed in the judges' final decision. When all is said and done, I would much prefer a show with Hilari vs one with Leslie, due in large part to personality and kindness I saw from Hilari. My best to all of them, though, and good luck to Hilari on her career.

Kathyabc on August 22, 2012 at 11:38 am
  2. It'll seem like I'm jumping on the bandwagon here but… dang we really liked Hilari best! Bummed out!

Vicki on August 22, 2012 at 11:53 am
  3. My question is what kind of show can the producers cook up for Leslie? I note that many of the other 'designer' formats have gone bye-bye (Emily, Sabrina, Antonio etc) or else moved to a different network (DIY, which I do not get on my cable system). I doubt that the average American household can afford some of the more pricey designs put forth on many programs, but there are times that useful ideas or designs are shown. Bottom line for me…I usually DVR and fast forward to see the finished product. Much of the drama, the planning, the shopping, the painting, the framing, the talking – I can do without.

Becky in 'Bama on August 22, 2012 at 12:04 pm
    • She didn't win a show, she won $25,000 and a guest spot on some HGTV show.

Corvette Lady on August 22, 2012 at 7:34 pm
  4. Hilari was ripped off again!! Here design of the space was so much better. I am sorry for her disappointment. Especially when she clearly was so much better. Best wishes to her.
    HGTV doesnt' get our support.

Stacey on August 22, 2012 at 12:04 pm
  5. Judges got it wrong. Hilary should be the winner. Tom came in second place……..Please give Hilary her own show

guest on August 22, 2012 at 12:22 pm
  6. Hilary did the best design of all!! She did something diferent from her usual designs and that should have won her the contest. I didn't like Leslie's room at all!! It looked cluttered and ugly,overcrowded and messy. Her outdoor space was really sorry looking and borin. Tom;s room was the same room that he always does. Not enough color. Hilary should have won, I don't understand how they picked Leslie to win. Can someone explain, please!!

spockslady on August 22, 2012 at 12:39 pm
    • It's business. This is the only reason. It couldn't possibly be because she had great design. It was just ok. Tom's design was good, but cluttered.

Penny on August 22, 2012 at 4:48 pm
  7. I loved Hilari's room! It was so beautiful! I liked Tom's room, but not as much. I don't think he had a bed in his room. Leslie's room was so cluttered. Big deal, a murphy bed. Where are the children supposed to sleep? I didn't get it. Hilari should have won, hands down! I had a feeling she would be slighted again.

Jane on August 22, 2012 at 12:39 pm
  8. I know he didnt win but
    I'd love to see Tom do more small space apts….like in NYC.
    I'd watch that show.
    my daughter just rented a tiny 400 sq ft place in NYC….
    of all the shipping containers, his was the one I would actually live in.
    Halari's was gorgeous but I couldnt and wouldnt want to live there.

MarshaWC on August 22, 2012 at 12:49 pm
  9. Hilari was definitely robbed.
    Guess you had to have a blonde female try and outdo the Design Star winner (Danielle)
    This is pitiful.
    Will change my TV line up from now on.

Elaine on August 22, 2012 at 1:38 pm
  10. Tom should have won. It was his best effort so far, and he was operating under a handicap. The women had containers with doors near the sides. His container had doors dead center, making his design harder to do. The woman could hide their sleeping area at the end away from the entrance. Much easier to do. Maximizing the use of the space was the goal. Tom used a day bed, for sleeping and sitting. Leslie created a "Murphy bed" that looked unsturdy, uncomfortable and ugly, especially when closed with the painted blackboard. Those should only be used in a basement play area or outdoor kids club house where they can do anything, not in general living areas. (Danielle painted chalk boards on kitchen cabinets in her first kitchen make over, as though the little darlings will confine their "artistic" creation to just those cabinets! What a dope!). Hilary , not listening, just put a bed in that couldn't be used for anything else, and proceeded to bury it with other furniture and useless junk, thereby cutting the small space down even more.

Tom created an architectural bench across the front of his porch, taking your eyes away from the ugly container, and directing you around to the doors, to view the interior. The women both cobbled together porches the you could see in any trailer park on Tobacco Road. Perfect for sitting on,and playing a banjo.

Tom provided a table the could fold and be used as a desk, when not being used for dining, maximizing space.Leslie had two stools and a little table. Hilari had only one chair and a plate!

Tom made maximum use of the space, with shelves on one end and the day bed on the other end. Tom also, finally started editing himself. Leslie couldn't edit herself, and Hilari never does. Leslie's storage bin looked junky, and her seating was awkward. A kid friendly general use space should be design for adult use, that kids can use without destroying it. As i said before, Hilari cramped the size of he room making it seem even smaller, the ceiling light hanging down so low, was just in the way and didn't look good anyway. Her usual mishmash of color is always offensive. Everything about her "designs" screams SLOB! (Why didn't she throw out the chest that she broke?) That was not Mid Century. At least not a mid century that has happened yet, and I sure hope we never go there either.

Tom's sketches looked excellent and sophisticated, unlike the cartoonish paintings David B. always does. Maybe he lost Davids vote there? Gen said of Tom's design, "who wouldn't want that?" Maybe not Gen for competition? Two votes against Tom?

I can't tell you for sure why Tom didn't win. I can't tell you why Leslie did win. I can say that Hilari lost because her work stinks. All she does is slop paint around, and fills a space with loads of useless, dust collecting, crap. Apparently it is the same thing that her fans do too, erroneously believing that they know something about Real Design. They're wrong.

It was Tom who was robbed.

erikcreature on August 22, 2012 at 2:13 pm
    • How were you able to do such a long post? I was told mine was too long and it wasn't as long as your first paragraph.

Corvette Lady on August 22, 2012 at 7:42 pm
    • Your funny, are you the other tom?? who was on the show as tom's support. LoL sounds like you have toms blueprints with you, as you wrote this post. Your views are totally skewed.

fjoseph on August 22, 2012 at 9:34 pm