Liz Gray

Contributor to HGTVersus

Aug 22

David on the All Stars Finale: The Toast Goes To…

David Bromstad Design Star All Stars Host

David breaks down the designs and the final decision. Plus, inside intel from the judging room.

Here’s what David had to say from the set:

Do you agree with David (and the judges)? Did the right designer win? Weigh in in the comments below.

Posted at 10:40 am

212 Comments

1. For all the noise from the judges about how a space must photograph for TV (listen up, Dan) they must have missed the dailies when comparing Hilari's room to Leslie's for the finale! The color clutter in Leslie's space was so distracting compared to the warm, flowing embrace you felt looking at Hilari's design. And to say that Leslie has finally rehearsed enough to deliver an entertaining video clip–not to mention questionable grammar, "Me and my family vacation…" when we have been laughing with Hilari since she first appeared on Design Star–who's the pro?? Lastly, Hilari is the only one who designed, as compared to throw some chairs out there, real, additional living space on the deck. Hilari, despite the outcome, your star shines!

lockgoddess on August 22, 2012 at 2:46 pm
    • lock you hit the nail on the head with this comment!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

deecee2012 on August 22, 2012 at 3:32 pm
  2. Hilary please remember that God has a plan and purpose for your life. Your room was very elegant and the doorway was beautiful. DON"T WORRY BECAUSE GOD HAS A SHOW FOR YOU AND THE JUDGES WILL NOT STOP HIM.

shalom on August 22, 2012 at 2:57 pm
  3. Ditto to all the Hilari support. The judges move the criteria when they need to. You won't reward someone for making an exceptional space with extra outdoor living and a bit of privacy to boot. That room was inviting, peaceful and had its own separate areas. I can invision a Mom needing some away time for reading or such stepping outside of her own home and walking into this relaxing space, Tom's as well, but his taste was a bit more masculine. Genevieve didn't want Hlari to win, not on the series or here. Not sure why. I would like to see more from Hilari. Will there be someway we can contact her, through a facebook, blog or something?

NoLongerViewing on August 22, 2012 at 3:08 pm
    • /go to twitter-hgtv-she and Gen blog

maria on August 22, 2012 at 3:35 pm
  4. I CANNOT BELIEVE HILARI DIDN"T WIN HANDS DOWN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I WOULD MUCH RATHER WATCH VIBRANT, FUN, ENTERTAINING HILARI ON TV THAN THAT NERVOUS ENERGY LESLIE PERMEATES!
    Hilari made the MOST of her INDOOR & OUTDOOR SPACE just as they ASKED! Leslie's space was CRAMPED!!! HILARI is a NATURAL, Leslie seems too nervous. It almost seems the judges had an alterior motive??? What, I do not know? I would be EXCITED to TUNE into HILARI's SHOW! NOT EXCITED about tuning into Leslie's show:( Even my 11 year old daughter was sooo disappointed. She never wants to watch Design Star again! She really connected with Hilari!

deecee2012 on August 22, 2012 at 3:15 pm
  5. We should be allowed to vote! They should have the popularity vote from viewers!

deecee2012 on August 22, 2012 at 3:17 pm
  6. Another thing, David and the judges are faking it. There was no way Leslie's room was all they are making it out to be. They chose who they wanted regarless of whether the person delivered or not. I'm not sure why they wanted her so badly to win. If I continue to watch this show, I will know that the winner is picked before hand. I will pass this information along to whom ever I can, just like the lady who spilled the beans on House Hunters. I know watch that knowing the couple has already picked their home and the others are decoys. At least the designers can get TV exposure to help with their careers.

NoLongerViewing on August 22, 2012 at 3:29 pm
  7. Why didn't the judges comment on Leslie's coffee table? It was taking up too much floor space. The judges were having a difficult time walking around it. Poor space planning!

Pittypat on August 22, 2012 at 4:36 pm
  8. I was extremely disapointed to see you pass over Hilari once again. Ten times better than Danielle and Fifty times better than Leslie who showed very limited vision and STILL doesn't play nice with others. I would like to think, after seeing all the above comments, that you have something Special in mind for Hilari and your viewers. What were you thinking!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Bea MacArthur on August 22, 2012 at 4:50 pm
  9. Hahaha Whew! Can you imagine Genevieve tearing Halari to shreds had her space looked like Leslie's? Then I don't think she would have said how "solid" the space was. Double standard. "why would you make a list", "what could that shelving be used for", "why did you utelize the little nook" on and on and on, (remember)

NoLongerViewing on August 22, 2012 at 4:56 pm
  10. Did anybody notice how the exterior colors of the shipping containers worked with the interior colors the designers chose? Tom's neutrals complimented the blue exterior so nicely; in fact, the picture of him in his blue jeans and vest, perched on the arm of a chair surrounded by neutrals, was stunning. Leslie's red was perfect for her blue/gray beach room, and Hilari's goldenrod yellow totally worked with that gorgeous salmon color on the interior walls. I thought each designer did something unique and special; loved Tom's built-in bookshelves and dining nook, Hilari's room divider and window screens were so clever and anchored that corner, and Leslie's clips on the wall are a great idea. I agree with the masses here and think Hilari was by far the outstanding designer, with Tom a close second, and still don't quite understand how Leslie's 'innovation and sass' garnered her the win. Hilari's room was so cozy, so inviting; Tom's supremely elegant and thoughtful, and while Leslie made good use of space, I really don't think it outshone the other two. So what's the encore??? I'm wondering what happened to the shipping containers. I say, give each runner-up his/hers to take home as they designed them for consolation prizes, all shipping costs paid for by HGTV!!! What show will Leslie be guest-starring on, by the way???

guest on August 22, 2012 at 5:18 pm