Liz Gray

Featured Blogger for HGTVersus

Jul 16

Ask the Producer: Go Behind the Scenes of Brother Vs. Brother

Your favorite HGTV Star producer Loren Ruch is also the mind behind HGTV’s all-new series, Brother Vs. Brother. Each week, he’ll answer your questions, share behind-the-scenes moments from the set and talk about what you didn’t see on TV. This week, he’s giving us a preview of what we’ll see this season on BvB.

Ask the Brother Vs. Brother Producer

Jonathan Scott and Drew Scott With Producer Loren Ruch

Tell us about the idea behind Brother Vs. Brother. How did the concept for the show come about?
The idea came about internally at HGTV because I was talking with one of my coworkers about how competitive Jonathan and Drew were in real life with each other. Then the light bulb moment hit: “We should create a competition show with the guys that captures the worlds of real estate (Drew’s specialty) and renovation (Jonathan’s specialty).” The rest, as they say, is history! We started to talk about what would make for good “TV” and before we knew it Brother vs Brother was on its way!

What were you looking for in the show’s contestants?
This show was SO difficult to cast because we were looking for Renaissance people in the world of home renovation. They needed to know about real estate, design, renovation, finance and more. Plus, they needed to have hands-on skills, and come from a variety of walks of life. In the end, we found realty experts, welders, designers, organizers, contractors, landscape architects and more! I couldn’t be any happier with our final teams.

Which twin is more competitive…Drew or Jonathan?
That is an impossible question to answer! They are both so competitive that I would say it depends on the situation. Drew was very, very detail-oriented with his team. He is a perfectionist, and expected that same level of detail from his team. Jonathan is also a perfectionist, but also wanted his team to be really creative and out-of-the box in terms of their ideas…so depending on the day, either one of them could have been the ‘more’ competitive one. Drew wanted to prove himself as the more ‘organized and calm-and cool team leader’ and Jonathan wanted to prove himself as the more ‘risk taking creative team leader.’ Who wins? You’ll need to watch the show to find out!

Who are some of the guest judges we’ll see throughout the season?
We have some of our biggest and best HGTV stars as judges this season. Look for Hilary Farr and David Visentin from Love It or List It, Mike Aubrey from the new show Power Broker, and Kennon Earl from Selling LA.

Can you share any of the challenge details with us?
Sure! Basically, in each episode you’ll see two very similar homes in very similar price ranges. Team Jonathan takes over one home and Team Drew takes over the other. They have a set budget and set number of days to see which team can increase property values more through smart design choices. The winning team is safe. The losing team will lose one of its members. The last man or woman standing at the end of the series will win $50,000!

Have a question for Loren? Ask him in the comments below! And don’t forget to tune in for the Brother Vs. Brother premiere this Sunday at 10/9c.

Posted at 10:00 am

9 Comments

1. In each episode they highlight certain sections of the house for redesign/remodel. What about the other parts of the house? Are they also remodeled?

Pamela Johnson on December 26, 2013 at 3:44 pm
  2. Any thoughts on helping a senior who needs a remodel?
    She is in a place unlike her home which is now vacant.
    I would love to bring her back to a remodeled home to live once again.
    Even if its for her hospice. This very special person is my mom. I lover her
    so much I think the umbilical cord reconnected. Mom is 90 and really a sweet lady.
    Her son whom she lived with, died suddenly in Aug 2013. Mom is so sad from his loss,
    that she slipped into depression, and then suddenly into Alzheimer's . The basement and drive are like new.
    I took care of both in 2011 for her. What are your thoughts?
    we live near Cleveland Ohio.

Maryann on December 30, 2013 at 3:53 pm
  3. My husband and I watch the show regularly. I am disappointed that some may items during a remodel are destroyed, such as kitchen cabinets, light fixtures, bath fixtures, and many other items There lots of homeowners that can't afford to replace items in their homes that are in worse condition then the fixtures that are being destroyed during these remodels. Would it not be a better idea to either donate or create a store where homeowners can purchased these items at a huge discount?

jane slevats on January 26, 2014 at 9:56 am
  4. PLEASE, PLEASE … would someone please teach these 2 brothers proper grammar? I forget who always says it, so excuse me if I''m quoting the wrong brother. In EVERY episode, he says something like "come with my brother and I to see …". It is incorrect to say "I" in this instance. The correct word is "me" — "come with my brother and *me* to see …". Frankly, it makes the speaker sound quite ignorant.

Geri on March 5, 2014 at 10:23 pm
  5. My daughter is a hard working single mother of a teen age daughter. My daughter has made a lot of improvements in her home but my granddaughter would love to have a family room where she could hang out with her friends. How would you like to come to WV and make this teenage girls dreams come true?

Jennifer on March 16, 2014 at 8:51 pm
  6. I am watching an episode where a couple decides to remodel a semi. They are redoing the whole downstairs and also making a two bedroom into a one bedroom. Owners choice given to them by the brothers. Therefore the house now only has 1 bedroom, not a good choice. Why would anyone even suggest that? Plus in the renovation there is a bathroom that is horrendous but there is now mention of redoing this on their budget. So now they have a nice house, with an absolutely freaky only. Anthropomorphic. Why would any builder do that?

Toby on April 9, 2014 at 1:41 pm
  7. Would the property brothers ever come to the Quad Cities located in Davenport, Iowa

Tedra Holland on April 15, 2014 at 9:26 pm
  8. Call me old but could you have a remodel where the real oak cabinets and window trim etc. Is not destroyed by paint ? And sometimes a house is OK with good carpet

robert on April 27, 2014 at 2:51 am
  9. I Love the Brothers and I watch HGTV shows constantly, and I want to know who the producers are that cancelled the Brenham twin brother, Jason and David, beause they are christians??? This makes my :blood boil"! How come their religion viws has anything to do with their show????

Betty Ordaz on July 28, 2014 at 3:59 pm

Visit Brother Vs. Brother Central

Brother Vs. Brother HGTV.com

Go inside the action: Browse challenge before-and-afters, catch full episodes and see web-exclusive clips.

Watch Videos, See Photos + More