Liz Gray

Contributor to HGTVersus

Apr 23

Flipping the Block: Get Ready for a New Competition Series

Spring may be in full swing, but we’ve got a reason to get excited for summer: A huge new HGTV competition series! Get ready for Flipping the Block, an eight-episode renovation competition to rebuild identical living spaces from the ground up. Four teams of two will move in, demo the place and make over an entire home before it goes on the auction block. The winning duo keeps the return on investment, plus a $50,000 cash prize.

Josh Temple will be your friendly neighborhood host, guiding you through the renovation highs and lows. There are no shortage of cameras on set to capture every second of the action:

Flipping the Block Host Josh Temple With Camera Crew

Flipping the Block Host Josh Temple With Camera Crew

Fan favorite David Bromstad is back as your behind-the-scenes host. He’ll be sharing all the drama in exclusive HGTV.com videos. There may even be the occasional selfie:

Josh Temple and David Bromstad Take a Selfie

Josh Temple and David Bromstad Take a Selfie

Along the way, the contestants will be mentored by HGTV and DIY Network all-stars, including Rehab Addicts Nicole Curtis. The great thing about our hosts? They’re not afraid to do the heavy lifting.

Josh Temple, Nicole Curtis and David Bromstad Show Off Their Muscles

Josh Temple, Nicole Curtis and David Bromstad Show Off Their Muscles

Check back here for more details on this exciting new summer series! It all starts July 20 at 10 p.m. ET/PT.

Posted at 12:28 pm

12 Comments

1. Dear Liz, Jonathan, Drew and Scott,
    I am not very good on the computer so I hope I am on the right page to ask my question.
    Twelve years ago our daughter of 31years was killed in an accident. To keep us busy we went to Lake Hopatcong a beautiful lake in New Jersey. We found piece and some happiness so we decided to buy a home on the lake. Now we are retired and the high taxes are pushing us to move. I feel that my daughter brought us to the lake and I truly feel she is with us. I am so broken hearted, I just want to stay. If we could find another home on the lake and remodel it, it would be a dream come true.

Our home is up for sale for one million dollars. It is a very special home, we do not have straight edged walls they are rounded. We have a large dome sky light in the entry hallway and most of the furniture is built in.

We also have a son who had many health issues throughout his life and lives in the apartment over the garage. He met a lovely women and is planning to marry her. So this is what we are looking for, a mother-daughter home. Not a large home this way the taxes will not be so high.

I am sure you think I am crazy but this is where I feel the touch of my daughter.

Naomi Cipolla on April 23, 2014 at 1:18 pm
  2. Sorry. Looks AWFUL. More cheap, fake-azz, disposable garbage.

Jeff Miller on June 2, 2014 at 4:12 pm
  3. No more rehab addict :-( my favorite show

jill on June 15, 2014 at 4:30 pm
  4. If you ever leave California, please come to Coin Iowa, population 176, and pretty much the whole town could use flipping. Lol

Janice Donoghue on June 16, 2014 at 6:21 pm
  5. Also, the new show sounds Awesome, 3 of my all time favorite hosts!

Janice Donoghue on June 16, 2014 at 6:25 pm
  6. We have 2 daughters who live in Australia…. When we visit, we watch a show called "the Block"…. Most Australians are addicted to the show! Glad to see a version of the show is coming to the USA!!!

Judy on June 22, 2014 at 8:59 am
  7. I can't imagine that this will be anywhere near as good as the original (and forever the best) The Block in Australia. The season that just ended there was perhaps the most entertaining single season of ANY show I've ever seen. I'm thrilled this has FINALLY been brought to the States, as the Australian Block has been called by many 'The greatest show Americans will NEVER get to see'. Not holding out a lot of hope for this being even in the same neighborhood of quality, scope or scale of the Aussie original but willing to give it a shot. The meager $50,000 win bonus that HGTV is handing out pretty clearly indicates this will be a very, very 'Block Light' American version….but with enough popularity this could grow into something worth watching…eventually. We'll see. Those who know Scott Cam, Kyle, Kara, Brad, Dale and the twins will fully appreciate my apprehension.

Mitch K on June 25, 2014 at 9:57 am
  8. Scott!!! Need I say more?!?! I have been waiting to see him again on a show, he is my favorite!! He has brains and brawn, financial savvy and, a fantastic personality! He is awesome and hopefully he will be on air even more! A big thanks to HGTV for bringing Scott on the show!

AuDLox on July 5, 2014 at 1:34 am
  9. its funny the people they pick for this stuff…. yuppys…. its sad that this is only what they pick to be on there shows…

yuppys picking yuppys…..

1st off you should be picking people that are in REAL NEED!!! your picking people THAT CAN AFORD TO ON THERE OWN and don't need real help…

I would build there out of a show and into a new one….

I wish I could go against them… iv been building my propertys on cash not crideit hand outs… they should do a show about me…

I had nothing at start… and now on my way to the top… its a long road but im on my way…. I got out of prison with nothing and now 4yrs later I have 6 houses I rehabbed all on my own with only small cash I had to make day by day and then use that to build….

people like me should be on this show as we could realy use that winners money to set us on our way..

well to bad for us as we have to watch yuppys and all there hand out to those that don't need… they only pick the nerds THAT HAVE HAND OUT FROM OTHERS AND DONT NEED THE SHOWS WINNINGS!!!!

well back to the grind…. thanks for reading!!!

muggss on July 15, 2014 at 7:32 am
  10. Any chance you might make it to Amarillo,Texas??

Dottie Plunkett on July 18, 2014 at 10:10 am