Liz Gray

Featured Blogger for HGTVersus

May 20

Flipping the Block: Meet the Teams

In HGTV’s all-new show Flipping the Block, four teams of skilled competitors join forces on on extraordinary renovation. They’ll demo, reno and transform four run-down condos into move-in ready show pieces…all while living amidst the construction dust!

In the end, the team that gets the highest bid for their condo unit at auction, minus what they spent from their design budget, will win the $50,000 prize. Host Josh Temple and behind-the-scenes reporter David Bromstad will talk you through all the action, and reno experts Scott McGillvray and Nicole Curtis will help and critique the contestants along the way. It all starts Sunday, July 20, at 9 p.m. ET/PT.

So, who would be brave (or crazy) enough to compete in this high-stakes challenge? Meet the teams.

Flipping the Block on HGTV - Season 1 Cast and Host Josh Temple

Hometown: Coronado, California
Relationship: Dating one year

THE BLACK TEAM
John and Whitney Spinks
Hometown: Jacksonville, Florida
Relationship: Married

Check back next week for behind-the-scenes videos and photos straight from the set of Flipping the Block.

Posted at 4:46 pm

17 Comments

1. On the show website, you have Brian and Craig Welborn transposed. Brian is clean shaven while Craig is the bearded twin. Just FYI.

Coach Donnie on May 29, 2014 at 9:07 am
  2. On the show website, you have Brian and Craig Welborn transposed. Brian is clean shaven while Craig is the bearded twin. Just FYI.

Coach Donnie on May 29, 2014 at 9:09 am
    • Thanks, this has been corrected!

Liz_HGTV on May 29, 2014 at 4:44 pm
  3. i want to play.

Dennis Greene on June 9, 2014 at 7:57 pm
  4. Thank you for FINALLY making this show! I was so upset when HGTV bought the rights to Australia's "The Block" a decade ago and never made it happen. This is what I wanted!

Karen on June 15, 2014 at 8:52 pm
    • Thanks, Karen! Every time we visit our kids in Australia, we faithfully watch the Block! Love the show and delighted that they are finally bringing it to the USA!!

Judy on June 22, 2014 at 9:03 am
  5. Don't know where to comment re regular show – show with Tina and James re fireplace. I have that stone and used a sealer (enhancer) really made a difference – from bland to POP.

Barbara on June 16, 2014 at 10:18 am
  6. This sounds like The Block AU, only it airs 5 days a week there, and they do side competitions to earn money. It lasts 10 weeks

Sam on June 29, 2014 at 9:32 pm
  7. I am very happy to see talent from Austin represented. The Welborn twins will be an amazing addition to this show. Can't wait to see it!!!

Martin on July 2, 2014 at 6:16 pm
  8. great show!

Steve Dunniway on July 13, 2014 at 11:15 pm
  9. I would love to apply as a contestant on "Flipping the Block". Where or how may I do so? I own a home in San Antonio, Texas and would like to do some Reno work to accommodate my 74 year young mom who is in her 14th year of Uterine Cancer (She is a brave fighter who loves to dance). I would like to move her in with me. I recently found out I will need back surgery soon and making my home ADA compliant would be an added bonus. Please? How may I apply?

Selina Edwards on July 14, 2014 at 11:17 am
  10. I'm so happy and proud of my big cousins, I can't wait for you all to show them your skills……Go Red Team !!!!!!!

Tyonne Crump on July 18, 2014 at 1:26 pm
    • how long does the shooting last? can you ask your cousins. Thanks! I am thinking of entering but need to know more info and can't seem to find any.

Dana in Dallas :)

danaecoplin on July 27, 2014 at 9:10 pm

More Flipping the Block

Flipping the Block HGTV.com

Flip through the latest condo remodeling photos, catch full episodes and see web-exclusive clips.

Watch Videos, See Photos + More