Liz Gray

Contributor to HGTVersus

Jun 10

Ask the Producer: Brother Vs. Brother Episode 1

Each week all season long, I’ll chat with Brother Vs. Brother producer Loren Ruch about his favorite on-set moments and what you didn’t see on TV. This week: All about episode 1.

Brother Vs. Brother on HGTV

As a stylist and builder, Drea seemed like a great asset to Team Drew. What was the mood like when the team found out she had to go home?
This was probably one of the saddest moments from the whole season.  Drea never even got a chance to prove herself because she was so sick, and the illness literally hit her within the first five minutes of shooting. Plus, her absence put her team at a disadvantage so it was sad and difficult all the way around. Everyone just felt awful for her.

How did you find the brothers, Rick and Joe? Did they try out together?
They actually tried out together for another show we are debuting this summer called Flipping the Block but their skills were so perfectly suited for Brother vs Brother that we asked them if they’d mind competing as individuals instead of as a team.

Which house or design element looked better in person? Worse?
Hard to say, really.  So much is personal preference.  I was personally a bigger fan of Team Drew’s design, but that might just be because it reflected more of my own personal design style.

Six and Eric had a pretty tense moment when he asked her to stop working on the bathroom. Was it that tense in person?
Yes! Tense is an understatement. It didn’t play as tense on TV as it felt in person.

Favorite on-set moment from the premiere?
My favorite moment was when we shot the Show Open. It was basically a chance to see Jonathan and Drew live out their dreams to be super heroes.  They were flying through the air, doing their own stunts and acrobatics, and basically shooting an action adventure film right in front of our eyes! See photos from the show open shoot here.

Have a question for Loren? Ask in the comments below — he may just answer you next week!

Posted at 4:13 pm

18 Comments

1. My wife and I loved property brothers. We do not like brother vs. Brother. We enjoy relaxing at night with hgtv so we do not enjoy hectic shows. More drew andjonathan isbetter andless all these contestants wedont know and don't care about. I hate change for the sake of change.

drow on June 10, 2014 at 8:29 pm
    • I agree drow.

Seo on June 14, 2014 at 7:52 pm
  2. Love all the HGTV shows! But, Drew – and I'm not an English teacher – twice in about 10 minutes, you said, "Meet Jonathan and I there." Grinding glass sounds! "Meet ME" so "Meet Jonathan and ME there." Please! I want to keep watching the show!

Karin Miller on June 11, 2014 at 1:12 pm
  3. Thanks so much for the new show! I recently underwent tests to see if I had cancer. Everything turned out to be benign–but your show and Property Brothers were really instrumental in taking my mind off of things. Now I am inspired to get strong enough to do some tiling!Kudos!!!! Entertainment has many purposes!

Jennifer Smith on June 11, 2014 at 2:49 pm
  4. This show is crazy, can they not get into the real world I don't see them working on a 100k -125k house what's up. Come to some rural sections of the United States. Not everyone is dumb enough to buy a house for 750k and put 100k for renovations. Idiots.

Mark Vingers on June 11, 2014 at 8:37 pm
  5. Hi. We are victims of Super Storm Sandy In New Jersey. We will be elevating our home 8 feet, and will be redesigning the entire first floor as we are incorporating a garage into living space (as the garage will be part of the house now.). We will be redecorating to an open floor plan, and new kitchen, living room , dining room and everything new as the first floor was devastated. We would love some design assistance and this would make for great TV as the entire look of the home (interior and exterior) will be different due to the elevation. I would be happy to speak with you more, as we do have architecture plans . I welcome your interest in our project. Please contact me as I would be happy to speak with you. Jonathan and Drew are great, and I love Hillary as well!! (Maquinn2@comcast.net)

Margaret Quinn on June 11, 2014 at 9:18 pm
  6. WHEN IS A SHOW DOING WELL – THE PROPERTY BROTHERS – WAY CHAINGE ?? / THE NEW SHOW IS A DISASTROUS / NO GOOD / IT IS MORE COPY OF SO MANY OTHER REALITY SHOWS … THE ART OF THE BROTHERS IS NO LONGER THERE …. NEED TO CANCEL AND GO BACK TO THE SHOW WISH MAY THEM FAMOUS….

PAPO L. on June 11, 2014 at 9:37 pm
    • I agree. I was so excited that the show had been RENEWED. Instead you broke up a really good format and replaced it with a clone of a different format. You don't seem to get it: The appeal of the original show is the fun and poke-in-the-ribs relationship between the two brothers, both of them striving to create their clients' dream homes.

Unfortunately, my guess is that you probably did a focus group with people under 30 and they told you they wanted a competitive format in which competitors bare their teeth and blow away a player each week. Could you at least consider alternating one of the regular show and one of the (pathetic) ripsnorting competition (hopefully with a rewrite of how to win?

10TeePeez on June 16, 2014 at 9:13 am
      • Hi Papo and 10TeePeez,
        Property Brothers definitely isn't going away; this show is in addition to their existing offerings.

Liz_HGTV on June 16, 2014 at 7:28 pm
  7. they need more jd !

suecogswell on June 12, 2014 at 9:03 am
  8. Loren: Where is HGTV Star, loved that show!

Peter on June 14, 2014 at 7:04 pm
  9. Don't like Brother verses Brother. Please change back to Property Brothers!

Seo on June 14, 2014 at 7:50 pm
  10. Hi – I would love to find out where I could purchase curtain panels from the 6/10 episode. The blue & white panels were shown in Team Drew's 'front room' in the after photos. Thanks!

Dee on June 15, 2014 at 6:32 pm

Visit Brother Vs. Brother Central

Brother Vs. Brother HGTV.com

Go inside the action: Browse challenge before-and-afters, catch full episodes and see web-exclusive clips.

Watch Videos, See Photos + More