Liz Gray

Contributor to HGTVersus

Jun 25

Ask the Producer: Brother Vs. Brother Episode 3

Each week all season long, I’ll chat with Brother Vs. Brother producer Loren Ruch about his favorite on-set moments and what you didn’t see on TV. This week: Why Craftsman homes? And, did Drew send the right contestants home? Read on to find out.

Brother Vs. Brother Producer With Property Brothers and Love it Or List It Hosts

Old houses have tons of character, but tend to have more underlying problems than newer properties, like the knob and tube wiring in Team Jonathan’s house. What made you choose these properties for the episode?
I always try to listen to our viewers, and last year I received a bunch of emails asking us to shake up the types of properties featured in Brother vs Brother for this season, so we decided a great way to do that would be to show Craftsman homes, ranchers, tract homes, bungalows, etc.  We had no idea that this particular home would have so many issues below the surface, so it was as much of a surprise to me as it was to Team Jonathan.

Sadly, Drew had to eliminate Six and Thomas! Why do you think he chose Eric and Melissa as the two team members going forward?
Drew thought that Eric and Melissa worked really well together, so they made a natural fit going forward. Six is incredibly talented, but was becoming more of a lone wolf, and Thomas was starting to seem exhausted from the competition, so ultimately, I think he made the right choice. Do you?

What was your favorite behind-the-scenes or funny moment from the set of episode three?
This was probably our most intense episode of the whole season. Hilary and David took forever to crunch their numbers because they were so incredibly close.  One house had more aesthetic qualities, the other was more impressive behind-the-walls. We’ve never had that dichotomy before, so it was a long and tiresome conversation to determine the values of these properties. In the end, Jonathan eeked out the win, but all of us behind the scenes were on the ends of our seats! I have to say, I was surprised that Jonathan won this one.  Based on purely visual spaces, I liked Drew’s house more, but that’s what makes this competition so exciting to watch!  On a lighter note, we had a lot of inappropriate ‘rooster’ jokes behind-the-scenes.  I will leave those to your imagination.

Have a question for Loren? Ask him in the comments below — he may just answer you next week!

Posted at 12:20 pm

11 Comments

1. I must say I am disappointed in this show. And I watch every single Brothers show there is on HGtv. I found that Channel, their show, and literally quit watching movies. I just think more time could be devoted to the actual process going on with the homes, and less time spent on talking about themselves, or showcasing themselves. They must already know by their rating that they are loved. We do not need all their silliness thrown into what could be an excellent show. My opinion, my opinion. Have seen similar shows, they are better because they stick to the purpose of the show. Thanks. This does not need to be posted. Thank You.

Loreley on June 25, 2014 at 7:36 pm
  2. after the show completes do you go back in and finish the peoples houses and re-do finishes that are not so good?

patti on June 26, 2014 at 7:22 pm
  3. Where did designer get shell shaped tiles used for fireplace in recent episode? I'm hunting for them!

Sue B on June 27, 2014 at 10:21 am
  4. Want a challenge? We are ready to close on a manufactured home. It started out as Bendix, then was bought out by Boise Cascade. Next it was called Commodore, and after an almost one-year shutdown, it was restarted by local investors as Highland Manufacturing. In 2006, it was bought by Champion Enterprises Holdings and took on the Champion name. We can not find any information on how it was built. 8343 E Deer Circle Mesa 85208
    Property Description – Builder is Parkhill – Brother vs brother could take one half of the double wide and challenge the other. One half was built in 1973 and the other half was built in 1974.
    Thanks,
    Lee and Denise Townsend
    leetownsend@gmail.com
    480-988-2119

Lee Townsend on June 27, 2014 at 4:31 pm
  5. I have a point of contention regarding the Craftsman home episode. The question was put to the group "How many bedrooms were in the house?" The answer given was there were 4 rooms upstairs but only three bedrooms, because one of them didn't have a closet. My issue with that is, in the turn of the century "closets" were NOT required by code until the 50's because of all the mass housing going up. Back in the turn of the century "Armoires" were used a lot of time over built-in closets – people didn't have as much clothing as we do now today… So, the other three bedrooms could have had the closets built-in at a later date… making it a 4 bedroom home based on the original construction requirements. Now, to be perfectly clear – I wasn't there and the filming was rather QUICK and I couldn't take in all that was going on, so the one with-out he closet could have been an enclosed original "sleeping porch"??? Closets were an option back then. I had an old 1920 bungalow that just had alcoves in the bedrooms with only face-frame cabinetry to make them look like the old Armoire style, with drawers below and shelf and pole above.
    Randy Sawn – Principal, R. L. Sawn Design Studio

Randy Sawn on June 28, 2014 at 7:05 pm
  6. What Lauren ? You didn't like the pepto bismo pink paint we used in the bathroom ?
    Yep that Rooster was a pain in the neck to work with !
    Personally I would have cut that whole section of the wall off and frame it and put it as a piece of art above the firefplace !

Adi Shuruk on June 29, 2014 at 1:15 pm
  7. Stinks that teami jwins but team d gets to pick one of. J's players!

Lesley Cox on June 29, 2014 at 8:20 pm
  8. In California it may be stylish to omit the shoe molding. However in the Northeast the toe or shoe molding is always used to give a finished look. Eric was right in including the shoe molding.

Nh garden on June 29, 2014 at 9:23 pm
  9. Just got finished watching the latest show. Please tell me that the rooms do get finished before they turn these homes back to the home owners. It would be great if you would tell the watchers that this would be completed . Love the show but feel that the speed that the contestants have to go at it takes away from what they are doing. I want the design to win out not the fast pace.

Polly from MS on June 29, 2014 at 11:42 pm
  10. This season is one hot mess. Why put the ridiculous time line on these projects? I can see having a deadline, but 3 days for a bathroom with one person doing the work? It just makes everything look thrown together. The design work is really lacking this time around.

As for the contestant who insisted on installing shoe molding, his project was not in the mid-west, it was in California. A good designer adapts to the situation and client, no ifs, ands, or buts.

cindy8w on June 30, 2014 at 6:30 am

Visit Brother Vs. Brother Central

Brother Vs. Brother HGTV.com

Go inside the action: Browse challenge before-and-afters, catch full episodes and see web-exclusive clips.

Watch Videos, See Photos + More