Liz Gray

Contributor to HGTVersus

Jun 25

Scott McGillivray & Nicole Curtis Bring Expert Advice to Flipping the Block

You’ve met Flipping the Block host Josh Temple and online host David Bromstad. But wait — there’s even more HGTV star power in this summer’s all-new renovation showdown! Each week, Income Property host Scott McGillivray or Rehab Addict host Nicole Curtis will offer their remodeling expertise to all four teams, then ultimately decide the winner of each week’s challenge.

Flipping the Block Host Josh Temple, Online Host David Bromstad and Judge/Expert Scott McGillivray

Host Josh Temple, Online Host David Bromstad and Judge/Expert Scott McGillivray

Scott brings more than a decade of smart, value-adding renovations to investment properties, while Nicole brings a passion for giving historic properties new life.

Flipping the Block Stars Josh Temple, Nicole Curtis and David Bromstad

Josh Temple, Judge/Expert Nicole Curtis, David Bromstad

Time and budget restrictions mean the four teams will have to work even harder to impress Scott and Nicole. “These teams do not have the luxury of time or an endless budget — they must rely on the experience that helped them get here and deliver results that real home buyers will want,” said Nicole in a recent press release for the show.

What will Scott be looking for in the renovations? “As a judge, I’m most concerned with the room’s finished look, the quality of the work and the overall value each team adds to the condo,” said Scott in the same release.

What do you hope Scott and Nicole bring to Flipping the Block? What questions do you have for these huge HGTV stars? Let us know in the comments below.

Posted at 2:28 pm

17 Comments

1. When you've got power players like 'Flipping the Block' host Josh Temple and 'Color Splash' star David Bromstad, four competing teams of eager and hard-working hopefuls, then add judges Scott McGillivray (Income Property host) and Nicole Curtis (host of Rehab Addict) to the mix — one judge who can zero right in on value-adding home renovations and the other who's a pro at seeing the potential in refinishing and repurposing the old to add value to renew any property, you've got a megaton of design, crashing, renovating and rehabbing skills all on one set.

An obvious question is: how do all these talented, goal-oriented professionals with strong personalities get along? There must be plenty of differences of opinion — and not just between the two well-respected judges. If there is strong disagreement as to which team completed the best value-added renovation, will there be a coin toss to determine the winners? Hair pull? Arm wrestling? Do they always agree, or is it all smoothed over off camera?

DBCoop on June 25, 2014 at 5:40 pm
    • Hi DB! We actually had a behind-the-scenes camera crew on set, so you'll get to see lots of the dynamics between the judges, contestants and crew from each episode!

Liz_HGTV on June 26, 2014 at 12:25 pm
      • Thanks, Liz. Those behind-the-scenes camera shots will add even more interest to each renovation showdown.

DBCoop on June 26, 2014 at 1:54 pm
  2. I’ve been waiting to see Nicole Curtis ‘s new show can’t wait to see it , hurray!

Marianne johnson on July 1, 2014 at 4:46 pm
    • I agree! Nicole Curtis is my favorite rehabber on TV, and I was fearful we might lose her. Cudos to HGTV for seeing her full potential. I hope they give her multiple roles over the years as she is great! I wish I could have done what she has done….

Sherry on July 7, 2014 at 7:13 am
  3. How do you apply to get on a season of Flipping the Block?

Barbara on July 3, 2014 at 4:07 pm
  4. Scott!!! Need I say more?!?! I have been waiting to see him again on a show, he is my favorite!! He has brains and brawn, financial savvy and, a fantastic personality! He is awesome and hopefully he will be on air even more! A big thanks to HGTV for bringing Scott on the show!

AuDLox on July 5, 2014 at 1:17 am
  5. I love em' all…Been watching for 5 years now. I rent. My ex got the house….so I had to move on. The place I rent now is old and has lots of character. I watch HGTV to get ideas to help this old place. I just wish there was a show hat helped renters with landlord's permission. Nicole is a go getter…the twins are trend setters…Josh is a heart throbber …and Scott is an eye catcher….David and Hilary are do-overs…..some I rarely see…but you are all good in your own ways. You've got a fan out of me. Carolee

Carol Covington on July 5, 2014 at 10:14 pm
    • Just want to say David is the absolute joy and color of HGTV and myself and I am sure many others are waiting semi-patiently for a new show of his own to return! I personally don't understand what happens to the staid classics–design on a dime– I.e. Basic budget decorating, Sarah 101, Candice tells all, Genevieve, all examples of taking a room from start to finish! Now, I love property brothers and the cousins , Tauren and Christina,naming with the love and list it 1+2 just as much as anyone, BUT…. We fell in love with show watching Vern, who I am always impressed by his thoughtfulness in his design and watching the various design stars get a show and develop and grow liked David continues to do and e a mentor for others as well as doing his own work for us to enjoy!!! Please consider! This is a therapy and a time forbeautyto be seen, ergo I love this show, and encourage youth have a variety on your network!

Happy place on August 25, 2014 at 8:31 am
  6. I just watched the first episode of "Flipping the Block"… it's like the less in depth, less entertaining a.d.d. version of Australia's "The Block". If you are going to copy a show, at least do it well! It could be a great show if it actually patterned itself after the original. I'll give it another shot, but I'm thinking that I'd rather wait for the next season of "The Block" AU to come out.

BandaPear on July 6, 2014 at 5:16 pm
  7. I am disappointed that HGTV has added yet another competition show to its repertoire. I loved Nicole Curtis's old show–watching what she does, not what some amateur does. The same with Scott McGillivray. What makes you think that we want to watch amateurs. We need to learn from the best. I don't like this trend on HGTV and the Food Network–just another way to cut costs for you and lessen value for us.

W Mcqueen on July 11, 2014 at 6:48 pm
    • I like the competition shows but it would nice if they'd go back to more "design shows" especially with David Bromstad or anyone for that matter.

Shawn on July 14, 2014 at 2:33 pm
  8. hello i really love your show and was wondering if my home could be use in one of your shows as a remodling up coming show, you all do a great job and would love to hear back frome you . thank you. my home sure needs a great look inside and out.. i live in san antonio texas here we love what you do and would love to see my home in one of your show

robet gonzales on July 13, 2014 at 10:06 pm
  9. I just read the comment from "PandaBear". I was considering getting cable TV just so I could watch Flipping the Block because we are such huge fans of "THE BLOCK" AU. We watch it on you tube. If you guys didn't get this right you have missed a big opportunity and need to go back to the drawing board fast and correct your mistakes. We have a large following of "THE BLOCK" AU watching and you have a ready made loyal audience if you got it right.

D. Harward on July 15, 2014 at 1:31 pm
  10. I am not a true "doer", but I know what I like. I am too old and disabled to do any of the marvelous
    tasks and remodels on HGTV. However, I happen to have caught the first show of "Flipping the Block"
    last night and I loved it! I was entertained and Lo and Behold my favorite host was there – David B. I
    saw him win the first program of "Design Star" and was hooked. I only knew about Josh and no one
    else. The couples are different enough to catch different fans. The abilities are high enough to be
    successful and you show enough for us to see the progression. For me an average watcher/fan I like
    it all. Thank you HGTV!!!

SandyLA on July 21, 2014 at 12:26 pm