Liz Gray

Featured Blogger for HGTVersus

Jul 1

Ask the Producer: Brother Vs. Brother Episode 4

Each week all season long, I’ll chat with Brother Vs. Brother producer Loren Ruch about his favorite on-set moments and what you didn’t see on TV. This week: Was Adi really that calm? And, what was behind the team switcheroo decision? Read on to find out.

Blog reader Deb asks, “Are there safety rules the contestants are required to follow while working in the homes? I see a lot of jewelry (on both genders) that would not have been allowed on construction projects I managed years ago. That got me wondering more about safety in general.”
You better believe it! We are fanatical about safety on our set. Goggles and masks must be warn when appropriate, and we have a general contractor on site making sure that no one is operating any equipment in a way that seem obviously dangerous. It’s always my personal goal to have an injury-free season.

Jonathan and Peggy on Brother Vs. Brother Episode 4 Set

Peggy and Jonathan Demo Their Colonial Home

Moving Rick to Team Drew was quite the twist! What was behind the decision to even out the teams? How did the teams adjust to the change?
This decision came purely from Drew and Jonathan. They didn’t want ‘gameplay’ to take the place of a good fair competition. So instead of having terribly unbalanced teams, they wanted all of the contestants to have an equal chance of proving themselves. I have to say that I agreed wholeheartedly with their decision to do this.

Team Drew Scott on Brother Vs. Brother Season 2

The New Team Drew: Melissa, Eric, Rick

Did the two homes have an identical layout? The upstairs bedrooms and bathrooms had many of the same features.
They were basically the same home.  There were some differences in finishes, etc., but for all intents and purposes they were extremely similar to each other.

Adi’s leg wound looked pretty serious, but he appeared to handle it amazingly well. Was he that calm and cool on the set?
Ironically, no. There’s one shot in the show where he looks strangely calm, but in reality I think he was about to faint! He did recover quickly, but it was tense there for a moment!

What was the most memorable or funniest moment from the set of episode four?
It’s a very little thing but my favorite moment was shooting our web tosses with JD and the Brothers. There were outtakes galore, and often we needed to reshoot perfectly good takes because the crew was laughing so hard.

JD Scott Interview Brothers Jonathan and Drew

JD Scott Interview Brothers Jonathan and Drew

Have a question for Loren? Ask him in the comments below — he may just answer you next week!

Posted at 5:31 pm

13 Comments

1. Certainly the homes to be renovated in each episode are selected well in advance, but who makes that decision? Is it totally up to Jonathan and Drew, or do you, Loren, as producer, have some input as well?

DBCoop on July 1, 2014 at 5:48 pm
  2. By the way, as I watched the Episode 4 footage of Adi's leg wound event, it was clear he came very close to fainting, which is exactly what I would have done!

That brings up another question: if one of the contestants becomes ill or injured, are the other team members allowed to be given extra help either from Jonathan or Drew, or provided with a temporary fill-in worker? Or, such as in Adi's situation where he lost precious work time, is it just a "roll with the punches" kind of deal?

DBCoop on July 1, 2014 at 6:05 pm
  3. I have a personal pet-peeve. The unshaven look/several days of stubble thing. Trim it in before filming, I don't give a hoot how well you dress, you are a slob by just not shaving.

Linda Lewis on July 2, 2014 at 8:04 pm
  4. I have to take issue with the "shoe mold" (sometimes called "toe molding") discussion. If you have wall to wall carpet, I can see not needing shoe molding. If you have hardwood or tile floors or some other hard surface flooring, having just the baseboard molding and not having shoe molding provides an unfinished look to the work. It isn't an issue of modern vs traditional at all. No shoe mold with hard surface flooring looks incomplete, unfinished or whatever term one prefers. Sorry guys…..you missed the mark on this.

Bruce Garner on July 2, 2014 at 11:13 pm
  5. I really liked watching the brother's old show. Not so much this one. Will look for the earlier ones.

Betty on July 3, 2014 at 1:24 am
    • I agree. Property Brothers was more enjoyable than the new show. I think sometimes people feel you must keep changing things. I disagree. My wife and I dislike the rushed, hectic pace of this show. The old format was better because you grew to care about thecouple whosehouse was being fixed. This show doesn't make me feel invested incaring about how the work turns out.

drow on July 6, 2014 at 8:07 pm
      • Hi Betty and Drow,
        Don't worry, Property Brothers definitely isn't going away! This show just offers a different type of renovation challenge for the (very competitive) Scott brothers.
        Thanks for your comment!
        Liz

Liz_HGTV on July 7, 2014 at 10:29 am
  6. i live in palmerton,pa. will the brothers ever get close to our area sometime. thanktyou jim

jim on July 3, 2014 at 4:40 am
  7. I think it was terrible that Jonathan had to give drew one of his people. If that hadn't happened he would have been there to help when the guy had to spend half a day at the hospital

peggy on July 3, 2014 at 8:42 am
  8. I now have done some internet searchs on what shoe molding is! Finally figured out by watching B. vs B. several times that it is a little tiny strip that covers the bottom of baseboards adherence to floor.

Is it rubber by the way?? I would not like that on my floors!

The reason I ask is because when I purchased a condo early 2000's it called for the owner to weatherstrip the french doors and they adhered this rubberized weather stripping that looked a lot like the frame showing shoe molding in Episode 4. Thanks!

Rebecca Chan on July 4, 2014 at 9:56 am
  9. Shoe molding or toe molding is usually wood. I think I have seen some in retail stores that was a resin material…not rubber though. A number of items used to trim out spaces are available in a resin/plastic material as well as wood. The ones I've seen were pre-primed for paint.

Bruce Garner on July 4, 2014 at 11:00 am
  10. Thid has been so one sided. Jonathan has made too many concessions for.
    1) First week he allows no cut ” to be fair” Drew takes advantage
    2) Jonathan gives up a team member,
    3) Drew takes advantage once again
    4) Then Mr pompous. ..Drew floats when he is winning purely on the generosity of Jonathan

To summarize …hard to watch. I am sure that Team Jonathan is not happy with all of the breaks team Drew has received.
    AND HGTV. the Flip or Flop Ken and Barbie annoying.
    Clean it up man. I like the Brothers I however would enjoy seeing them mix it up with the cousins!

virginia king on July 6, 2014 at 11:44 pm

Visit Brother Vs. Brother Central

Brother Vs. Brother HGTV.com

Go inside the action: Browse challenge before-and-afters, catch full episodes and see web-exclusive clips.

Watch Videos, See Photos + More