Liz Gray

Featured Blogger for HGTVersus

Jul 22

Ask the Producer: Flipping the Block Premiere

You know him from Brother Vs. Brother and Design Star — now go behind the scenes of the all-new competition series Flipping the Block with producer Loren Ruch. Each week, he’ll share his favorite behind-the-scenes moments. Plus, he’ll answer your questions about the show!

Flipping the Block Producer Loren Ruch With Josh, David and Scott

Producer Loren Ruch With Josh, David and Scott

The contestants didn’t look any too happy about having to sleep in the run-down condos. Were there any funny moments from the first night we didn’t see on screen?
Oh, yes! They were not happy with us at all initially. My favorite moment was when Anicka asked one of our producers, “So, where are we really sleeping tonight?” When we said “This was it” she gave us a look that I could never replicate! When I think about it now I laugh out loud, but back then I was a bit scared one of them might walk!

Speaking of run-down…were they really using those kitchens and bathrooms until they were remodeled?
You better believe it! What you see is what you get! Luckily, the bathrooms were made over in the second week, so they only had ports-potties for a short while.

What was your favorite behind-the-scenes or funny moment from the set of this episode?
By far, my favorite moment was when they saw the units for the first time, and found out they were going to be living in them for the next eight weeks. All I can say is, I don’t know what the heck was going on in those bathrooms before our teams moved in, but it was worse than a horror movie!! Seriously, John and Whitney’s toilet looked like it came from another planet!!!

Have a question for Loren? Ask him in the comments below — he may just answer you next week!

Posted at 4:36 pm

35 Comments

1. Hi, Loren, how about posting a floorplan with dimensions so the viewers can get an idea of the space the teams are working with? Also, will the show be available to watch episodes online? Love it already!!!

Guest on July 23, 2014 at 7:24 pm
    • Hi, We'll be posting a floor plan next week due to popular demand. :) The full episodes are available on the HGTV Watch app, which you can download here: https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/hgtv-to-go-for-ip
      Thanks,
      Liz

Liz_HGTV on July 23, 2014 at 11:17 pm
  2. How long are the contestants allowed to work on their rooms each day? Are they limited by the production staff's working hours or can they work off-camera in to the wee hours of the night?

tbone1974 on July 23, 2014 at 7:30 pm
    • Great questions! I'm answering them in this week's blog! You inspired me to get more into the details with our viewers…coming out in the next day or two!

Loren on July 27, 2014 at 3:42 pm
  3. Hi Loren, I wish I knew how to be on this show. The teams you have are doing poor quality and I know I would be better than them. I grew up learning to do projects around the home from my dad and mother. I love painting and refinishing old items. I hope you have professionals fix what they mess up because to sell in the end you wont get much. I am unemployed and would like to do the next contest and I live in San Bernardino County which is not to far from Los Angeles. I watch HGTV and DIY shows a lot and learn from them.
    Thanks Heidi

Heidi Myers on July 24, 2014 at 4:01 pm
    • Heidi – we would love for you to audition for next year!! Go to our Be On HGTV page to find out more! Thanks for watching!!

Loren on July 27, 2014 at 3:38 pm
    • there is always a person like you who sit on the couch, watches the show and thinks they can do better work. If you had done any work in renos you would know that TIME is the enemy … These contestants are on the clock. They have complete great work considering that. If you're so good why don't you put your energy into finding a job…… perhaps in the reno industry instead of criticizing other peoples.
      Keep watching HGTV Heidi … you still have a lot to learn
      Brian

Brian Joseph on July 28, 2014 at 11:01 am
  4. I have a block for HGTV to flip ! Lydia Ln.,Dallas Texas 75217~ The houses are all owned by the same person & are rented out, I am sure everyone one would have a great time & enjoy the flipping process !
    Sincerly , Jacki Nino

Jacki Nino on July 25, 2014 at 8:03 am
    • Maybe next season!!!

Loren on July 27, 2014 at 3:39 pm
  5. hi loren after watching the first episode i can't believe the team that did the least won those, two women subbed everything out. If you want to call yourself a general contractor you should take responsibility for your work and quality. My wife and i watch hgtv here in wisconsin. i have worked in the construction industry for over 30 years and my wife and i have worked on many rehab projects we would be interested in doing a flip on your show

curt martin on July 26, 2014 at 9:15 am
  6. Do they get to finish the things that need finished or fixed, in their spare time before starting the next portion of the competition? Or is someone brought in to finish it?

pazscott on July 26, 2014 at 11:13 am
    • Keep watching and you'll find out :)
      We get this addressed somehow…I just don't want to give too much away.

Loren on July 27, 2014 at 3:39 pm
  7. Oh what high hopes I had for this show.. but wow, it's just bad! As an American gal who obsessively watches The Block (the original Aussie series) and even the New Zealand version, this show just doesn't come close. They barely have any renovating to do, outside of popcorn ceilings and a few leaky pipes. And the designs are beyond average, and that's being kind. But I can't even put that all on the contestants seeing as they are bound by being forced to use a teeny, tiny selection of items. I mean really HGTV, why not just give them each a catalog and a highlighter and save the gas costs on those sponsored car/van thingys. No one gets to show their true talents on a show like this. It's one thing to restrict them to certain stores and certain brands, like Home Depot only or Loews only, etc., but you pre-select all the items for them. No wonder every room looks like the same person had a hand in it, just with a different color in their pain bucket. Surprised you don't limit that selection too. Guess, yet again, there is nothing for me to watch on American HGTV.

nicoledesignluvr on July 26, 2014 at 1:25 pm
    • I've started watching "The Block" from Australia online after reading your comment here about the show. I'm completely addicted! What a fabulous show. People who know what they're doing, complete attention to detail and styling, high end products, big budget, and absolutely gorgeous renos. What a great show. HGTV's Flipping the Block may have taken their idea from that show, but that's all they've taken. No comparison at all. I probably won't be watching any more episodes.

oregongirl on July 29, 2014 at 2:02 pm
  8. Hi Nicole – if you are willing to give the show a few more episodes, I think you will actually be really impressed by some of the creative work that the designers do…much of it themselves! Our goal is to get much of the same excitement for this show like the Australian version. I appreciate your opinions nonetheless. It helps us make better shows in the future! -Loren

Loren on July 27, 2014 at 3:41 pm
  9. Hi Loren, I saw that there was already a comment about the products the teams are able to use but you don't say anything about the selection of items. Could you please clarify on why you subjected them to a very small selection of items to use. Thank you and I love HGTV. We watch all the time.

Scott on July 27, 2014 at 8:48 pm
  10. I loved the Aussie version of this show and watched it while we lived down under. Was excited for the US to take on the flipping the block challenge. One thing I miss is the challenges that offer the contestants other opportunities to win cash or assistance. Are there plans to include challenges in addition to the weekly challenge. I know that the show has to be edited to fit in the time slot but would love to see extended footage online. Noticed these groups are challenged with the time to complete. Do they have time after the weekly competition to complete the room? Hope the rest of the US enjoys this show as much as I do.

Christine Enslin on July 27, 2014 at 9:09 pm