Liz Gray

Contributor to HGTVersus

Jul 27

Flipping the Block: Vote for Your Favorite Bathroom

Are you hooked on Flipping the Block yet? In less than a week, the contestants have arrived at their new (wrecked) homes and remodeled their master bedrooms. But they’ve still got a long renovation journey ahead! This week, they took one step closer to a finished, ready-for-sale condo by remodeling not one but both of the units’ bathrooms.

Each team took a different design approach, and they didn’t skimp on the details, either:

Bathroom Designs From Flipping the Block

Tell me: Which set of bathrooms did you like best? Vote for the Black Team, Silver Team, Blue Team or Red Team now, then see all the before-and-after shots right here tomorrow.

Posted at 10:14 pm

15 Comments

1. I don't know the team Colors, however I liked Last weeks winner's bathroom best. I agree with the judge that they were totally missing their staging,. Had they made time for staging they would've been a force to be reckoned with. This weeks winner would have been my second best; however I have no clue how they couldn't tell their fixtures were so grossly misaligned. I would love to have seen a tall cabinet between their vanities or even a splurge on a purchase of a double vanity (considering that was allowed) I would have really upped their value, provided great storage and counter space. As for the bathroom with the lemons in the Mason Jars….and the boyfriend who gave up and decided to snack on oreos….Can't be pissed at the judges when they -once again-tell you the Devil's in the details. Had they spent less time trying to scam for the vanity, circumstances may have been better for them. Lastly The twins, are starting to get sickening. I can not believe they've never seen any of the competitions on HGTV to know they have to finish. If you didn't finish last week, everything in you should be poised to finish this week. Stop with the excuses and get on the ball. It makes me wonder how proactive each team is. Certainly there are restrictions on the amount of work they can do, but living there, I would approach it the same way I approach renovations for my house. There is NO way I would not have a full design for each room prepared and ready to go whenever the room is announced. I would have already spotted items from previous trips that I want to incorporate in other rooms, and the day of shopping, I'd go in splits. (Much like we often saw on Design Star) "You get up fitst thing in the morning, and pick up A,B,C while I do EFG-if needed I'll double-back to the store and pick up D, and so on…Gotta make the most of everything. Lastly (for real this time) Where did they get this Carpenter from. He and his crew have got to be THE BIGGEST slackers in HGTV history. They'd do better pulling out the yellow pages, then following behind those guys. Unbelievable.

decoratinghobbyist on July 28, 2014 at 1:18 am
  2. I did like Black teams bath. It would totally bug me if the hardware wasn't aligned tho. I really disliked red teams bath. The dark brown tile and walls and vanity was just way too gloomy and poop colored. Poop colored walls, tile and vanity feels…dirty. I like baths bright and happy and CLEAN looking. If the silver team pulled back they could have had a nice bath. It's was too much of a cluttered dust collector.

D. Teixeira on July 28, 2014 at 3:07 am
  3. My favorite team is the Red team, they make a plan, execute it and finish! I like the twins, they have the creativity, they just need better time management, but with a little more experience they'll eventually do well. And they have great integrity, compared to the Silver team, their cheating stunt showed just what they're about, wouldn't want them as my contractors/designers. You wouldn't know if you could trust them or not with your project, and you'd have to fight them to keep the design reflecting your own personal tastes and needs instead of theirs! The Black team just as unethical since they were so eager to go along with the cheating plan. I hope the Silver & Black teams both bottom out.

RZY on July 28, 2014 at 11:08 am
  4. I agree, Black Teams decision to push the wall out for a double vanity was great (Curtis, next time perhaps you should listen to Amanda instead of eating cookies!). As far as the the space between the vanities, that is an easy fix for whoever buys the condo. Remember, these teams are on a limited budget, limited time schedule, etc which is what makes the show exciting. No team will be able to do 100% of what needs to be done.

I also agree about the subcontractors. At this point, I'm not sure if they are actually a help or a hindrance.

Brian and Craigs bathroom looked great and I loved the shower. I just want them to be able to finish. Of course we don't know what all is going on. Example: Why did they need to wait for a screwdriver that John was using? Don't they have their own sets of tools? Still the materials they used were really nice and their design style is close to mine.

Red Team, once again, brilliant at calling your contractor first thing to get on the list first. I disagree that the bathroom looked like poop though. I liked the brown tiles. I may have gone with a light shade for the walls but it was ok.

Amanda and Curtis. Amanda brava for getting in there and doing the demo. It couldn't have been easy hauling all that tile from the upstairs down to the dumpsters. Also, brava for finding your sense of fairness and not "cheating" the red team out of their vanity. Besides, the vanity you got worked beautifully. Don't listen to Curtis anymore. I know this is a competition but you don't want to be known as schemers. Lets play fair and square. I don't have much to say about Curtis except that I think Amanda can do better. She's up there working hard to the last second, and he goes down and gets cookies!

Congrads again Whitney and John on a well deserved win.

Rick on July 28, 2014 at 11:12 am
    • Great response, Rick! It's nice to see that you take into account all the successes rather than only the things we fell short on! As Josh Temple states, it's truly like flipping homes on steroids! The blockheads, as we call ourselves, were sharing tools and subcontractors, so in addition to time, that was a big obstacle we all tried to manage the best that we could. The drill died when John was hanging our shower rod, so the brothers definitely deserve some slack for not getting their door/mirrors hung. There is also a noise ordinance in LA which restricts the use of tools after dark (I believe the time cut off was 7 pm) so no tools could be used after this hour.

Whitney on July 29, 2014 at 3:58 pm
  5. I like the green mosaic tile bathroom

Jennifer on July 28, 2014 at 1:44 pm
  6. Black team took a big risk with the time constraint- I can't believe anyone could finish 2 bathrooms in that amount of time, let alone move walls…and it paid off. I did like the brightness of the room and high contrast between the light and dark, nice tile choices. Centering the shower fixtures would have required moving plumbing, so I see why they didn't do it. They probably didn't realize it wouldn't be centered until they started their tile design.

I like that every team seems to be staying true to their design style. If I would have seen "bathroom afters" without their team name being attached, I feel like I would have been able to tell which bathroom belonged to which team. Carrying color schemes and style throughout the whole condo's design will make for a better end product, so I feel like each team should keep building off what they've done in the previous weeks.

I liked aspects of all the bathrooms this week though. The twins had some great material selections this week. The sisters had a nice moody, sophisticated vibe. Amanda and Curtis had nice colors that did feel spa like. I actually feel like the white vanity worked better than red team's vanity would have with their country chic style anyway. I'm glad Amanda didn't compromise her character. Nobody really wants to win by doing something a little underhanded.

Kudos to all the teams. I still can't believe they pulled 2 bathrooms off in that amount of time. Producers- for goodness sake, give the teams enough tools to work with that they don't have to share a drill thats battery dies. I think the teams have enough difficult challenges without being short on tools to use!

I'm excited to see what's in store for next week with those kitchen remodels!

Chatty on July 28, 2014 at 3:04 pm
  7. I don't know how I missed the whole one drill fiasco-I'm gonna have to watch this episode again. I still believe that if the black team had measured correctly they would have known exactly where the fixtures went and could center their inlay accordingly.

As far as the space between the vanities, it's true , it's an easy fix, however their original design included a full tower that looked amazing, the choice to use a half tower looked puny and didn't not aesthetically convey a true sense of providing additional storage.

I agree, the cocoa brown in the sisters bathroom, wouldn't have been my choice, but I could see accents of rust, cream and/or gold that would have lightened it up, and brought it full circle fabulous.

decoratinghobbyist on July 28, 2014 at 7:27 pm
  8. I'm wondering what happened to the twins downstairs bathroom? Was it somehow smaller than the others? The vanity they had wasn't very big to begin with – and still too big when they cut it down. I don't understand.

Amanda needs to stop decorating for herself and start making choices that will appeal to a broader market. And after their horrible molding job in the first episode one would think they would pay closer attention to the details.

Mum of two on July 29, 2014 at 8:56 am
  9. I'd like to know how to become a contestant on this show?

Nicole on July 29, 2014 at 9:31 pm
  10. Seriously- the mistakes of misalignment, unpainted moldings, and other errors are so amateur. If you don't know how to install crown- then don't attempt it! Those twins need to go- and I mean GO HOME!
    Did the casting staff think they had another set of property brothers? They are clueless, bumbling morons and the way the judges patronize them is laughable. This is a competition! Remodeling a room? PICK UP A TAPE MEASURE!. The fact the toilet didn't fit and vanity had to be cut down to cram in the toilet is ABSURD! I cant even stand to watch them and all those lame excuses- where do you find these contestants? Not just anyone can flip.

ALSO… why does every show feel a countdown is necessary. It does NOT make the show more exciting- and you spend too much airtime on competitors justifying their work. Find competent contestants who have enough experience to know small things like accent tile is placed according to fixture location, that all the molding needs to be painted, and the project has a timeline so plan accordingly. I could go on and on but you already know exactly what I'm referring to, Especially when contestants have the option of contractors for hire when they aren't competent at certain skills. The fact the weeks winner was the team that didn't even calculate centering accent tile to showerhead? Painful!
    And making contestants live there- really? that's just nasty… and cheap, and given you expect them to do their best work, another ill-advised concept of this show. Certainly you can do better than this.

In Disbelief on July 29, 2014 at 10:46 pm
    • Sounds like watching this show is too stressful for you. Maybe you should change channels to TLC and watch Honey Boo Boo.

k marie on August 1, 2014 at 7:36 am
      • Should also add that the crown molding fiasco was Curtis and Amanda's mess in the master bedroom, not the twins.

K Marie on August 1, 2014 at 1:43 pm