Liz Gray

Contributor to HGTVersus

Aug 3

Flipping the Block: Pick Your Favorite Kitchen

This week, all four Flipping the Block teams had the chance to attempt the (nearly) impossible: Remodel a whole kitchen in just 6 days. Amazingly, each team finished with a (nearly) complete and stunningly-upgraded kitchen.

The Finished Flipping the Block Kitchens

The Finished Flipping the Block Kitchens

So, which was your favorite? Did you think David Bromstad’s help gave John and Whitney an edge? Did you love Shauna and Anicka’s orange-and-cream look, or prefer the twins’ minimalist modern look? Or, did you prefer Curtis and Amanda’s rustic space? Vote for your favorite space in the comments below, then come back tomorrow to see amazing before-and-after pictures, behind-the-scenes videos and more.

Posted at 9:00 pm

27 Comments

1. Love the twins' minimalist, modern look! Their layout made the kitchen more spacious. Unfortunately, they ran out of time to finish the work. Over all, their design looks neat, modern, and elegant.

Big Fan on August 3, 2014 at 9:18 pm
    • The brothers also seem to run into a major snafu each episode — the delay for the inspector on master closet, tile subs not getting done in time to allow the tile to dry so they could set the shower door anchors, the subs puncturing the water line in the kitchen — are they being deliberately sabotaged?

k marie on August 5, 2014 at 10:17 pm
  2. not happy with the winning kitchen they spent all that money and the result was just ok

cherry on August 3, 2014 at 9:21 pm
    • ugly back splash

Elle on August 4, 2014 at 6:27 pm
  3. I agree with Cherry; the winning kitchen was just okay and they always have details that aren't finished. The Red Team or the Blue Team should have won.

Drea on August 3, 2014 at 10:26 pm
    • The Red Team I don't think should have one since it looked incomplete. The Blue team I think did a Great Job but it wasn't functional do to the faucet, disposal, and dishwasher not hooked up, Even though the winning team still had details that weren't finished they did complete it an it was functional and had all the appliances unlike the Red team. I think one of there best moves was to go with the Tank-less water heater,

Jim on August 3, 2014 at 11:00 pm
  4. So who won? We had a storm come in and lost direct tv just when they were announcing who won.

Fluegge on August 3, 2014 at 11:01 pm
  5. I think that Shauna and Anicka's would have been the winner if they had only bought the washer and dryer!
    I didn't understand how no one had a great tile backsplash. That is usually one of the biggest focal points of a kitchen! The blue team just never gets it done, and for being carpenters that small wood bar was a huge disappointment. John and Whitney crowded those appliances in and wasted so much space. Their kitchen felt crowded because of it. Curtis and Amanda had great ideas but what was with the blue tile under the breakfast bar? Maybe it would have worked if they had tiled the backsplash in the same tile. Loved that they used the tankless water heater. I thought they had the best use of space. Curtis and Amanda along with Shauna and Anicka, seem to have a cohesive vision for their condos' overall design. So, do the twins get to have a working kitchen sink or are they stuck with being unfinished?

Kimberly on August 3, 2014 at 11:02 pm
  6. The wasted space in the kitchen of Black Team: John and Whitney Spinks bothers me so much that I wish I could go over there and fix it myself. IT is an EASY fix. PLEASE send someone over there to put a cabinet in the hallway outside the bathroom door to take advantage of that space. There is so much room there that can be used for so many different uses such as, storage for bathroom necessities, shoes, toys and games, pet food, whatever the home owner wants to put in there. I am dying to see it done. Please send me a pic.

Erin on August 3, 2014 at 11:37 pm
  7. @flugge:The Silver team won but they also spent all but $300 of their money. Yikes. I'm not sure about their designs. If it was for them then cool but they have to sell it and it's got a specific taste. Black team nice but too crowded. Red team…orange stripe no bueno but good layout, everything fit well. Ok the Blue team. The twins. YOU GOTTA HURRY UP OMG. Lol they have great ideas and a good simple sellable style bit geeze guys. The producers stopped focusing on how you can't finish anymore because you just don't finish. Again I liked the Blue teams a lot but…Unfinished. If I had to buy one of the homes now would be Blue team or Black team. I like red teams layouts but I don't like orange and red.

D. Teixeira on August 4, 2014 at 3:26 am
  8. I have been really disappointed in all the designs and the teams. I can't believe that these will be sold to the public. Why one team was allowed to design a kitchen for the first time and mess up the layout is beyond belief. And, Bromstad was advising them! I could go on about the other teams too. Where did they find these people? All the white kitchens were a bore too. Classic and timeless is one thing but bland and boring is another. I probably won't continue to watch. It's too frustrating!

P Hancock on August 4, 2014 at 12:09 pm
  9. Teixiera,

I agree with you if I was to by one now it would be the Blue or Black Team.

Jim on August 4, 2014 at 12:14 pm
  10. I am liking Blue and Black the most as they match my style. All the teams seem to forget that they won't end up with the condos, these are being sold at auction so they need to appeal to large crowds. Bidding wars are a real estate agents DREAM. Right now unless they are able to go back and make edits I don't think they will make a huge profit on any of the condos. Silver/Gray team needs to tone down the "whimsical"/"Shabby" and good lord that teal tile, a little goes a LONG way. Red team needs to realize that orange and red are some of the lesser popular colors, and if they are going to do something with color DO NOT PAINT A BACK SPLASH. I have yet to ever see one that didn't look cheap. They could have done that same stripe with white and orange tiles and elevated the whole thing. Blue needs to learn to finish a job. Perfect uncompleted isn't perfect. Manage their subs and coordinate efforts, they could have finished had they brought in help sooner. Black, needs to think about functionality. I don't think they actually thought about how a busy parent would feel attempting to cook in that kitchen.

My two cents. I hope season two has better suited contestants, although these ones are very sweet.

Lyzz AnJo on August 4, 2014 at 1:26 pm