Liz Gray

Contributor to HGTVersus

Aug 12

Ask the Producer: Flipping the Block Episode 4

You know him from Brother Vs. Brother and Design Star — now go behind the scenes of the all-new competition series Flipping the Block with producer Loren Ruch. Each week, he’ll share his favorite behind-the-scenes moments. Plus, he’ll answer your questions about the show!

Behind the Scenes of Flipping the Block

Photo, left to right: Josh Temple, Nicole Curtis, Loren Ruch

What was behind the decision to give the contestants an extra $3,000 to complete this challenge?
That was our plan all along. We really wanted the contestants to focus all of their budgets on the internal components of their condos. And we figured $3,000 was right in the sweet spot of what it would cost to properly design these outdoor spaces, so it seemed like a fair number.

Nicole looked like she had a really difficult time choosing a winner this week. What put John and Whitney’s renovation over the top?
Oh. My. Gosh. You don’t even know!! The real deliberation took Nicole more than two hours because she literally could not decide who she wanted to pick as the winner. There were so many good characteristics about multiple units that it was a really tough decision for her. In the end she thought that John and Whitney’s had the most going for it ‘overall’ because there was a seating area, a relaxing area, and some beautiful plants and nature.

Once the renovations were done, did the contestants prefer one patio over the others as an evening hangout spot?
I don’t want to give too much away, but in three weeks you’ll see their favorite common space at The Block, and it wasn’t in one of the individual yards! But, yes, I think John and Whitney’s probably was the one that everyone hung out at most.

What was the mood like on set after the winner was announced?
It was always tough after our evaluations because everyone worked so hard on their spaces. Were the other teams disappointed? Yes. But were they also happy for John and Whitney? I sincerely believe that they were.

What was your favorite behind-the-scenes or funny moment from the set of episode 4?
My favorite moment was watching Nicole Curtis take off her shoes to test out the sand box! I love that she wanted to get down and dirty in her assessing of the different spaces!

Have a question for Loren? Ask in the comments below — he may just answer you next week!

Posted at 1:35 pm

19 Comments

1. Brian and Craig have the worse attitudes of any of the contestants. They seemed to think that because they finally finished a project they should win, and this episode wasn't the first time.

Amanda and Curtis' choice of the sand was misguided. They may think it is "sick" but I would be sick if I had to clean up the sand tracked into the house.

LeAnn McRoberts on August 12, 2014 at 4:01 pm
  2. I just love john and Whitney! Their clean designs and I love how they act with each other I can really relate! Great show

Sue on August 12, 2014 at 5:08 pm
    • Thanks Sue! That's a really nice compliment!

Whitney on August 13, 2014 at 12:57 pm
  3. What team do you think was the best at listening to Josh as each challenge got underway and which was the most resistant, because more than once I had to ask myself, "what are they thinking?" when Josh questioned what the team had in mind for their design plans.

To me, it seems that the teams who most needed to listen to what Josh was saying during the renovation process were the ones who were most resistant!

DBCoop on August 12, 2014 at 6:17 pm
  4. Loved the sisters' hand-build flower boxes and the wood tiles and fake grass. Low maintenance in such a small space is key. Also liked Shawna's artwork above the couch, but will it survive outdoor elements?

Blue Team's pergola was awesome and added a lot. Could have used some stone blocks under the chimanea and chair seating area, but otherwise I think they added great value.

Black Team did a lot — maybe too much for a small space. The deck needs some railings to define it more. Lots of maintenance there.

Silver Team, just tacky. Who wants sand at the back door but some stray cats looking for a litter box.

k marie on August 15, 2014 at 7:58 am
  5. I'm turning it off tonight. I was infuriated last week when everyone got more money. That saved the couple who overspent/won the challenge because they spent so much money rather than not budgeting properly. Just found out that everyone gets more money again and the same overspending couple is spared. It is not fair to the contestants who are making an effort to play by the pre-established rules.

Ann on August 17, 2014 at 8:16 pm
  6. I may be incorrect about extra money tonight. Possibly the $3000 is for getting to appear in the magazine. It doesn't change my feelings about last week's show though. Contestants were penalized for budgeting according to the rules; silver team was essentially rewarded for lack of budgeting.

Ann on August 17, 2014 at 8:29 pm
    • The winning team in the guest bedroom challenge got $5,000 and a feature in the magazine — the rest of the teams didn't get any extra funds this time around.

Liz_HGTV on August 19, 2014 at 10:04 am
  7. Rather than giving the winner a bonus like help from David Bromstad, why not give one of the "losers" that advantage? That would be really interesting to see if the least successful couple could step it up if they had help.

Meggan on August 17, 2014 at 8:31 pm
  8. Where can he curtains John & Whitney used in their guest bedroom be purchased?

Trisha on August 17, 2014 at 9:13 pm
  9. Love the idea of giving the losers the help….Are the judges prejudiced for John & Whitney? I liked the brothers patio much better…..So much of what I am seeing is so crowded…Liked the idea of having some space in the design. Also would have liked to see a scoring sheet with % given to each category to see who gets the best score…..

GUY on August 17, 2014 at 9:34 pm
  10. What happens to the unfinished areas? Do the contestants have to finish them on their time off, or do professional staff finish them before the auction? Or are they left as is, which is to say, not really salable?

Guest on August 17, 2014 at 10:04 pm