• Share the Love

Guest post by Melissa Andersen, CousinsTV

As Web Content & Social Media Manager for HGTV’s Cousins, Anthony and John, I’m in the unique position to see firsthand the blood, sweat, and passion that go into each and every home renovation they tackle – whether on air or off.  When I tell people that I work with the Cousins, the first question is, nearly without fail, ‘Are they the same in real life as they are on TV?’ – and the answer is, unflinchingly, YES!

On the set of “Cousins Undercover”

Anthony and John are the real deal – what you see is what you get. When they’re getting emotional with the people they’re helping – it’s real. When they’re stressing about a deadline or construction setback – it’s real. And when they’re laughing and joking with each other, giving us a teeny glimpse into what a meal at the Carrino/Colaneri family dinner table is like – it’s real. They’re not actors, they’re not acting, and being genuine is at the very core of who they are and what they do.

When I joined the team to help manage their social presence, it was clear from the start that a connection with their fans – a real one – was their top priority. They didn’t simply hand me the reins and walk away from their most direct touch point to the people who got them where they are today… their social media was, and still is, a joint collaboration between all three of us. They bring the love, energy, and inspiration, and I tidy it up into a neat little package that makes sense for whatever platform we’re working on, whether it be Facebook, Twitter, or Pinterest.  Our working relationship is easy because they trust my instincts and because I trust their authenticity.

The hour-long episodes of Cousins Undercover (which premieres this Sunday at 8/7c) follow Anthony and John as they navigate the unpredictable waters of surprise home makeovers in a matter of days. But the show is also about family and community – two things the Cousins know all about – and coming together to pay it forward to local heroes who have given so much of themselves, often at the price of their own needs.

More from the set of “Cousins Undercover”

We want the fans to feel like they’re part of the show. The stories of the people featured in each episode don’t stop at the end of the hour, but keep unfolding – and we want them to continue for you, too.

That’s why we’re getting super social with all you loyal Cousins fans! Not only will Anthony and John be live-tweeting every episode, but they also will be hosting LIVE Q&A sessions on Facebook (starting 10/13 and continuing for alternating episodes for the rest of the season). In the 30 minutes following the show, Anthony and John will answer your questions about that night’s episode (and even some design and renovation questions!) so you can get the inside scoop on what goes into super-sized, super-secret home renovations like you’ll see on Cousins Undercover. As usual, they’re keeping it real.

We hope to see you there.

………….

About the author…

1. pamela mcguire says:

Hello my name is pamela mcguire i live in Ohio i have a little house my dad helped me get cause we was homeless and really struggling i am disabled and i spend my time tring to help people get and stay off drugs i live on a very small income of 450. a month i try but i cant do it all my kitchen caught fire and the wall is gone we have it covered with a table cloth. i really need help i dont know if im a hero but i try to help everyone that is why this show caught my eye my fiancee of 12 yrs is disabled he has had two srokes but he still tries to mow grass or fix cars just to put food on table we have a ten yr old son who lives with us and three daughters out on own if you could please tell me how we can get help winter is comming on and we have no heat source in our house and we need dry wall in ketchen cause of the fire the house is falling apart butt its the only stability our son has ever had and its all we have. please if you can help cantact me GOD bless you for what you do

2. Cindy K says:

Hi I was wondering how you get on any of the shows on HGTV I live in Wisconsin and my housband has had 3 back surgeries now they say he has arthris in his hip and knees. We need help with converting our bathroom from a tub to just a shower. Lifting his legs over the edge of the tub to taks a shower is hard. And we also need help with our back yard. If you can tell me know how to apply for a show for the help I would greatly appreciate it.

3. Cara says:

I love watching the cousins – they seem very real and tons of fun! Plus, they do so much for the less fortunate! It's a great show and often makes me cry!

4. becky says:

love your show & getting new ideas. If you ever get to KS, I'd love to see what you would do with a craftsman bungalow. Especially the kitchen & bath. I love the episode where the mom said, NO and you both got turned down. But why do you always do WHITE cabinets? They get so dirty so fast.

5. Marilyn Brandenburg says:

I love HGTV !! I just sit here and dream and wish away…. Come to Florida !!!! AND surprise me! My house sure needs it… if you could see it, you'd understand!

6. Marcia Almeida says:

Marvelous write up Melissa and it is apparent that you all work well together. Their shows are full of style. It's no surprise to me that the Cousins are just as true in person as they appear on tv. Can't fake real.

7. Linda Britt says:

My name is Linda , I am 70 years young and in desperate need of some help with making our home handicap user friendly because I have a fractured L. Pelvic and I have to walk with a walker , there two step downs in the house and the kitchen is small needs lot of work . I love to cook and have fed a many of people in need and made meals for bible school students at CWC Worship Center in Alexander , LA and took people into our home when they had no place to live . I just pray for help so I can move through my house in safety and be able to cook in a kitchen with my special need met !!!

8. Rick W. says:

Seriously, how can anybody get help if they really need it, , I was told your house has to be paid for & when anybody from HGTV does anything they require you to take out a mortgage , is this true or please be honest & tell the American people the Truth.

9. Christine Mereigh says:

I really enjoy your show…it would be so great if you could come and do my kitchen…I really am desperate…for twenty-five years I have been trying to get a contractor to do my kitchen…we have had our kitchen measured,picked out cabinets,type,color,coutertops…through many home and at business locations of contractors there always come some kind of glich. Even people have recommend us to contractors for other jobs no problem,but when coming to kitchen there is always something…I don't understand and we have been willing to pay their price…but these contractors give us the run around. Help I would like to have a new kitchen and enjoy it before my Husband and I sell the house. Please help us…Husband handicap and me other disabilities. Please Please come and do out Kitchen….not that far from your New Jersey Location…We really love your Work…it's just beautiful…Thanks…we will be watching…

10. Barbara S. says:

Hello, I love HGTV and all of the people that put their blood, sweat, and tears, into helping others with updating homes, or finding new ones for people in need. It is awsome what the Cousins Undercover are going to do to help deserving people just like my daughter. I am asking for your help in cleaning up a problem that my daughter has with her house. My daughter is a preschool teacher and then works after school teaching a disabled student. She loves her work, but does not make a lot of money due to cut hours at school. Her husband is disabled so she is the only bread winner in the home. My daughter has many food and inhalant allergies that are very severe, yet she perseveres to go to work every day. She has a problem with mold in her bathroom and because of rain damage to her roof, she has had leaks in her living room and one bedroom. Now there is mold in one wall in the bedroom and the bathroom has mold growing on the ceiling and walls due to water damage. She has tried to clean the mold but she is allergic to the chemicals in the cleaners as well as the mold. I see her health going down so I don't know how much longer she will be able to stay in her home or be well enough to go to work. I ask that you consider helping my daughter by cleaning up the mold and giving her a new bathroom particularly. She is a wonderful teacher and loves to give to children even though she does not have any of her own. Please help her. Thank you for what you do for others and hopefully you will consider helping my daughter get her health back. God Bless you.

11. We at New York Minute Magazine love The Cousins, John and Anthony, check out our exclusive interview at newyorkminutemag.com

12. Patrice Walsh says:

I love all the HGTV shows and now hooked into the NEW "Cousins Undercover" Show. It's amazing, inspirational and heart warming how John and Anthony transform people's lives. I was wondering who can I write to about a story idea. It's not about me or my family, but about my community where I live in Silver Spring, MD. Thank you in advance for letting me know or just letting me know if you aren't the right person.
    Hope you have a great day!~ Sincerely, Patrice Walsh, Mom of four kids

13. Dee says:

Hi! Random question, but I am very curious which kind of tablet Anthony uses on Kitchen Cousins and what sketching/drawing app he uses with it. Thanks!

14. Maria Grazia says:

Hello cousin
    I fallow your show and mostly I like see Antony (George Clooney) and John the help you give to the to people. That is a HEART GIVER rare to find in this generation and economy!!