Today HGTV released its inaugural “HGTV HomePulse Survey,” the first in a series whose goal is to monitor consumer perspectives on home-related topics. The survey of approximately 1,000 randomly selected adults reveals American homeowners’ true home-related obsessions.
Home Improvement Trumps Vacation and Gadgets
- More than 81% of respondents believe that money spent on home improvement will show a good return.
- 66% agree that now is a good time to invest in home improvement.
- Americans love their homes! 61% would choose to spend on their homes rather than vacation or the latest electronics.
What Women and Men Want
- Both men and women agree on the need to expand square footage.
- 31% of women vs. 17% of men would opt to update the decor.
- 19% of men vs. 3% of women would choose technological enhancements.
- 1 in 3 respondents overall said “a beautiful outdoor space” is extremely important.
Sending Out An SOS
- Americans are passionate about home improvement, but in need of advice when working with professionals.
- Only 1 out of 5 is confident that they are knowledgeable enough to keep a contractor honest. Of course, homeowners in need of a confidence boost can watch such HGTV programs as Property Brothers, Renovation Raiders and Love It or List It.
Hope and the American Dream
- 76% of all non-homeowners are optimistic that they will eventually own.
- 64% of non-home owning Millennials believe they will own their own home by their 30s.
Now it’s your turn! Tell us, do you have home improvement spending at the top of your budget line? Would you choose a weekend of building that brand new deck or trying out a new wall color over a trip to the beach? Leave a comment and share your home improvement obsessions.